aluminum heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum heads

At least one vendor out there is offering aluminum heads for the Stude V8. Any body have any experience with these heads? Do they hold up? I'm old enough to remmeber the debacle when GM came out with aluminum heads in the 70s.

I think the vendor was Lionel Stone. He is laid up right now. I have heard if you want to use those heads, you had better own a pretty complete machine shop and know how to use it. I have no first hand experience with them, I'm only repeating what I have heard from others.

Comment

Trust me, just rebuild the old Iron ones! [^]

If you must lighten up the front end, try putting the Battery in the trunk or something!

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

If you must lighten up the front end, try putting the Battery in the trunk or something!

StudeRich
        Just remember the hold down! [:0][}]

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island Chapter
        http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Leon -

First off....most aftermarket heads these days are of aluminum and work just fine.
          In face, a large percentage of factory heads are alum.

As for the only available alum. head for the Stude made from aluminum..try as they might, save your money. Just port your iron heads. Sure, a good porter will cost you the same amount as the alum. heads noted here, but if done correctly, a good set of ported iron heads will outflow the hottest of over the counter Stude cams.
          You'll have to go looking at roller cams to get the most out of'em.

I'm trying to finish a, do it yourself porting instruction paper.
          Done correctly...200cfm is easilly possible.

Mike

Comment

Leon--Just make sure that you follow manufacturer's instructions to the letter. If you have any questions, be sure to ask them before badmouthing the product.

Comment

I seem to remember a few months back, someone was contacting Edelbrock about making Stude aluminum heads. If i remember correctly aa quantity of 100 sets was the minimum they would make. Haven't seen anything since, so maybe a check of past threads here or on the general forum might turn up something. Just some more fuel on the fire. B.V.

Comment

I talked to Vic himself at a show a month or so back.
                He smiled and said "no, he didn't something like this was even in the thinking to do stages".

While this isn't a "NO..not ever"...it's just a no for now. He was sorta busy, so I didn't get to say much else.

Mike

Comment

I can understand Vic's "not quite no" answer...with the economy the way it is, I doubt if any company like Edelbrock is looking to enter such a limited market right now. They're more concerned with their bread and butter stuff and trying to keep that market base from shrinking. When the economy is good and they're more flush with funding looking for new products and markets to penetrate, that's when they might entertain such an idea of aluminum heads and intakes for Studebakers.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I wouldn't even call it "fuel on a fire"; more like "up in smoke". I wonder how many different kinds of ideas Vic Edelbrock is asked to entertain; just because aluminum is the key word? It sounds like he has his responses down pat, as far as not disappointing anybody too awful bad. But on a saturday night after a coupla beers, I bet he's just shaking his head and laffin, saying to himself, "WHY?"

Comment

Well its not like they would make a head for an AMC .....

oh wait .. nevermind[xx(]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Oh hey that's right...the motor they made til NINETY-ONE. Not quite early sixties, and a lot more of them out there. As I lay my head down to sleep, perhaps to dream; of studebaker aluminum heads in various valve and chamber sizes, right next to the chevy ones at Pep Boys...

Comment

Got to keep the dream alive. Maybe, with enough people at the pure stock drags. It will get the attention of the aftermarket people.

Gordon

Comment

He's makimg heads for nailhead Buicks and 348/409 Chevys. Now they also are a "limited" market. I would imagine that more than a few hundred sets of aluminium Stude heads would be sold. I'd buy a set or two just because I hate grinding on cast iron.[8D]

Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC
                            Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                            1958 Commander "Christine"
                            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                            1955 Commander Sedan
                            1964 Champ
                            1960 Lark

Comment

Direct bolt on for 70-91, so thats 21 years, Studebaker V8s were from
                              1951 to 1964, so 'only' 13 years, but certainly enough to warrant the
                              production one would imagine.

Tom
                              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                              X