pedal swing and manual trans questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedal swing and manual trans questions

I have a 62 lark automatic that I'd like to change over to a four speed at some point. What pedal swings will fit? I figure being Studebaker stuff they used the same unit for lots of stuff so I am hoping that as I run across cars I can find one that will fit and put it aside for when the time is right. As far as the transmission is a T10 the best fit? How about a T5 out of an s10? any other 4 or 5 spd transmission that others have used with good success? 27 spline output would be a bonus so that I can get my present drive shaft made the right length instead of having to get a new one built. I plan on staying with chevy small block power. Have a 283 right now and will build a 302 when I find L99 rods.

Jon Meyer sold me a lark hanging pedal assy a couple years ago, clutch and brake pedals attached.Check with him, Meyer's Studebaker

ok

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rickhmn

I plan on staying with chevy small block power. Have a 283 right now and will build a 302 when I find L99 rods.
      What do you mean by "stay with Chevy power"?

Doesn't your '62 Lark have a Studebaker 259 or 289 like it should?

I would have no idea what Trans fits a Chevy, probably a Chevy.

The pedals can come from a 1961 to 1966 Studebaker Lark or Lark Type, either 6 or 8 Cyl. with 3 speed, 3 speed W/Overdrive or 4 Speed.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes, I have been unfaithful and switched to Brand X power but, I figure Stude did it why can't I. I meant that when I go to a manual trans I will keep the small block Chevy motor. Trans I know fairly well, the pedal swing is my main question. By lark or lrk type what all do you include? Will any older stuff fit? I have access to parts off mid 50's commander and a couple of 50/51 cars that are manual. I thought maybe the mounting points etc may have been the same.

Comment

the 61 and newer Larks have the pedals hung from the firewall. 59 and 60 had them through the floor like all earlier Studebaker cars. So nothing from an earlier model will fit without major modifications.

Lark Type refers to the cars made from 64-66 when they droped the Lark name.

Fred

**I'm not the best speller...FireFox catches most of my mistakes, but I use IE at work**

Comment

Yeah, since they only went to swing pedals in '61 (and that was with Larks, not Hawks), only 61 thru 66 Larks would offer anything.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

As far as the trans, a t-5 from a s-10 or better yet a camaro or firebird will fit pretty well..you need the bellhousing with it..the trans is set at an angle and the bell housing is fit for it.

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

Thanks for the info. Found a t5 from a 4.3 V6 s10 with the bellhousing this past weekend.

Comment

I would try to go with swing pedals rather than the floor mounted pedal. I used a floor mounted clutch pedal in my GT for a mopar 4 speed and the linkage was a nightmare. It works perfect, but it was a lot more trouble than it was worth.

Comment

I have a set of hanging pedals in my stuff. Pulled them from a Tcab.

What are they worth?

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    61 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    63 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    45 Agricat
                    67 Triumph T100
                    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

You have a 62 lark then someone transplanted a 65 283 in your car. If you have a 283 then you will need a Chev manual bell housing and you can use a five, four or even three speed saginaw. You will have to change the transmission yoke.

If you can find a wrecked manual Camero/Firebird you could use the hydraulic clutch linkage but it is a bit tricky making mounts.

I am using the hydraulic set up and bell housing and a saginaw three speed in the 54 behind a 250

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      61 Tcab 20R powered
                      55 Commander Wagon
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      46 Gibson Model A
                      50 JD MC

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      63 Tcab 20R powered
                      55 Commander Wagon
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      46 Gibson Model A
                      50 JD MC
                      45 Agricat
                      67 Triumph T100
                      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I put the 283 in. .60 over, 1.94/1.60 heads, summit 1103 cam, headers when I can find a set that fit and daul plane intake. Used this same set up in a pickup that was quite a bit heavier and it could have used more low end punch but was really fun from about 3000 up. Ought to be great fun in the much lighter car.

Comment

Working...
                        X