Wagonaire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaire question

I'd like to grease the front U-joint in my V8 '64 wagonaire with automatic trans. However, it still has the original "Lifetime Lubricated" u joint -- the one with no grease fitting. So perhaps I'll change it to a replacement U joint with a grease fitting. But, the X- member of the frame is directly under that universal joint, so access to it with a grease gun may not be possible.

So, I wonder how other Wagonaire owners address this situation. Do we need to pull the driveline every time we want to grease that front U- joint, or is there an easier way to perform this needed periodic maintenance?

Thanks,
    Larry

quote:Originally posted by SuperHawk

I'd like to grease the front U-joint in my V8 '64 wagonaire with automatic trans. However, it still has the original "Lifetime Lubricated" u joint -- the one with no grease fitting. So perhaps I'll change it to a replacement U joint with a grease fitting. But, the X- member of the frame is directly under that universal joint, so access to it with a grease gun may not be possible.
    So, I wonder how other Wagonaire owners address this situation. Do we need to pull the driveline every time we want to grease that front U- joint, or is there an easier way to perform this needed periodic maintenance?
    I think it's possible to reach it installed, but I just unfasten the driveshaft at the rear u-joint, pull it out, grease the front u-joint and reinstall. Only takes a few minutes.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Once you've got a U-joint with a grease fitting, you can lift the wheels and rotate the shaft to where you can:
      1. Usually get to it with one of those really small "upright" grease guns, or

2. Always get it with one of those needle attachments to your full sized greasegun. Just use the needle to push aside the spring ball on the zerk fitting.

Comment

Go for the needle injector. It'll save you mondo amounts of futzing about trying to get the hose on that fitting (ask me how I know!).

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard
        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by SuperHawk

Thanks,
          Larry
          I have always been able to grease that u-joint on my wagonaire with a regular grease gun and nozzle as long as it has the flexible hose, not rigid tube. I raise the rear end of the car so the rear wheels turn to get the zerk in the right position for reaching it with the grease gun hose and nozzle slipped over the x-member (in the small gap between the body and x-member). A little awkward but easily done.

Dale

Comment

Working...
          X