Removing 62 GT clock & tach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing 62 GT clock & tach?

What is the proper procedure for removing the clock and tach from the dashboard of a 1962 GT Hawk?
    Peter Bishop

Gotta get on your back. Sometimes, it is easier to remove the seat. Mark the wires as you remove them, so you remember where they go as you take them apart. I used a small 5/16th inch wrench to loosen the small nuts that hold the clock in position, then took them off with fingers. The clock will almost fall out. The tach has two nuts on the back of the unit, and they need to be removed. The tach comes out the same way. The chrome rings come out at the same time. If you have A/C, you can service the defroster ducts, and get to the radio thru the tach hole. You have to hold your tongue just right, but it can be done.

Comment

I would also suggest removing the steering wheel. It gives you more "wiggle" room.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
      Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Disconnect the battery before doing anything. Its easy to short out something & the tach sender isnt priced for a CASO. I've removed the seat for extra room but never needed to remove the steering wheel......not yet anyway!

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I've done both in the past few months (the clock last weekend) and installed a new sending unit for the tach. You will get quite intimate with the brake pedal. Extra light down there also helps.

For the clock, removing just one of the mounting brackets will cause the thing to practically fall out, as already mentioned (I did the top one first).

To fix the original sending unit (which I have yet to do), refer to the January 1980 TW for plenty of detail. There is a simple test there to determine if the tach itself is OK; if it is, you probably don't have to take it out, just undo the wiring to the sending unit.

Jim K.
          63 Hawk
          Jim K.
          63 Hawk

Comment

I would love to see the article in the Jan. 1980 TW, is there some way to get it? I have found that the tach itself is rarely the problem. Wiring, and the sending unit are usually the culprit.

Comment

The Jan. 1980 Turning Wheels article on tachometers is posted on Bob Johnstones web site in the tech section. Great information!

Joe

Comment

Interlibrary loan is how I got the article- didn't know about Bob Johnstone's.

Jim K.
                63 Hawk
                Jim K.
                63 Hawk

Comment

If you have never tried it--buy one of those LED head-lights from Harbor Motor Freight (about $4). It is great for lighting up the under side of the dash board or anywhere else for that mater.
                  1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti R/2-R5096, 1953 Champion-R/1,4spd, Two 1967 Studebaker Gravely tractorssigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X