No announcement yet.

1963 Avanti R2 Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the information. I'm jacking the car up tonight and starting to disassemble everything. I will let you all know what find.
    Again thanks
    Rob

Comment

The throughout bearing is the likely suspect for the noise on clutch disengagement. Directions above suffice.

The tranny will have to come out and be rebuilt, if you want to fix 2nd gear. The main reason for 2nd gear popout is the synchro teeth on the hub of 2nd gear.

Here is one T-10 parts place:
      http://tbtrans.com/t10_transmission.htm

There are others too.

This site is even better: http://aagears.com/parts.html

I purchased a cheap $49 tranny jack on Ebay. And it enabled me to easily remove and install my T-10 when I rebuilt it. It had the same ailment as yours. The side effect is that is is like new and no longer leaks any gear oil.

========================
      63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
      Martinez, CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R2Andy

Pulling the trans assy. out gives you more room to work. Plus you don't have to worry about it moving and falling.
        I think this might be in reference to my post about just pushing the tranny back and leaving it... What I really mean is- the transmission itself cannot be removed from the car UNTIL the bell housing is out.. You just don't have enough wiggle-room with the X-member. You also cannot remove it with the bell housing attached- unless you are willing to remove the pulleys and fan, and unbolting the motor mounts.
        Once the bell housing is out... you have enough room to drop the transmission. I never meant to suggest that you have to leave it in the X-member.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
        Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
        Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Thanks for all the information guys. I pulled the transmission out Last night. I noticed the Speedometer pinion gear was loose in the the case itself. I had pulled it out of the casing with a long needle nose pliers. I don't want to sound stupid but it seems I am going need a new speedometer cable I don't think that should be just rolling around in the case. From what read and see it seems that pinion gear attaches to the cable.

As for rebuilding the trans and fixing second gear it sounds like a good option but I don't know if I can do this myself. Do I need a press to this job? If not I am willing to do the rebuild myself if it is possible. How complicated of a task is it? If I need the right tools to take this on I would need to take it to a shop. Is there anyone you can recommend in New Jersey.

Also I want to remove the Bell housing so I can look at the clutch plate and make sure it is in good order. What is the easiest way to remove the clutch operating shaft?

Thanks
          Rob

Comment

That speedometer gear should snap into the cable end. There is a snap ring on it. And it will stay in place.

Also, it won't fall out during operation, as it is coupled over the cable end and meshed with the drive gear. If it doesn't fit snugly in tho the cable, then it can fall out when it is removed from the transmission.

========================
            Martinez, CA

Comment

Regarding the transmission, I bought a small shop press for about $89 and did the work myself. There are lots of little parts - needle bearing, snap rings etc. And it is good to get new syncro rings and hubs. If you aren't daring find an experienced rebuilder.

The site I listed above has been rebuilding T-10s for a few decades. And located in Los Angeles, they have lots of parts. So I would at least remember them for parts needs.

It isn't a real difficult chore, and some of the rebuilder/parts suppliers will aid over the phone in any way they can. Some may not.

I enjoyed rebuilding mine; but it's not a task suited for everyone.

========================
              Martinez, CA

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going try doing myself like you I probably would enjoy doing it myself. Thanks for the info.

Comment

And when the time comes ... I use Redline MT90 gear oil in the T-10.

========================
                  Martinez, CA

Comment

I have the trans out and trying to dismantle the clutch release rod so I can install a new throw out bearing. I having some serious issues with it. I cannot remove the shaft pins. No matter what I have done cannot get them out. Does anyone have any effective methods to get these pins out. Or will I be able to accomplish the same thing by unbolting the bell housing?

Rob

Comment

My '63 R2 4-speed car popped out of 2nd from the day I bought it with 27K on the clock. I took it back to the former Studebaker dealer's numerous times and it was never properly repaired. Years later I took it to a back-yard mechanic/hot rodder/drag racer. He pulled the trans, inspected it, and found the back side of 2nd gear where the syncro engages was worn. He replaced the gear and the fix was complete. No more jumping out of 2nd!

Comment

Working...
                      X