1963 Avanti R2 Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Avanti R2 Transmission

I just purchased a 1963 Avanti R2 and I am new to this car. I worked on last prior to this one but it seems that there is very limited technical information out there. Unless I am looking in the wrong place and if this is the case if someone could direct me in the right direction I appreciate it.

I have been running this car for the past month and noticed I am getting a squeaking noise around the flywheel area. It gets louder as I engage the clutch. Could anyone tell me what could be making noise? I never heard anything like it before. Also the car pops out of second gear. I am looking to pull the transmission out. How difficult of a job is it?

A: I don't have a lift I will be placing the car on jacks stands.
    B: How heavy is the transmission. I am figuring I will have to support the engine with a a jack stand once the the transmission is out.

The only other option is I will have to take this car to a mechanic but I would rather do the job myself.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
    Rob

squeaking noise around flywheel sounds like dry throwout bearing. to replace you have to pull the trans, so you might as well check the location of the bellhousing with a dial indicator as well (that could cause the popping out of 2nd)

Pulling trans is not theoretically a bad job but it'll be more difficult than normal due to the x-member frame of the avanti. you don't need to support the engine at all unless you pull the bellhousing to replace the clutch "while you're in there" as the rear engine/trans mount is on the bellhousing not the transmission. I don't know the full weight of the trans, but it's possible for one person to do the job if that one person is strong, but way easier with two people.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

The T-10 four speed is well-known for popping out of second gear under load, even when they were new. Just ask any Corvette guy - mine does it, too. I just hold it back in the detent when shifting.

You have to get the Avanti shop manual if you are going to work on your car...it is about 60.00 bucks now, I think from Studebaker International and other vendors carry it as well. It is very well written, like most Studebaker shop manuals are.

You have defintely come to the right source, there is a lot of expertise on these cars here. I have owned and maintained mine myself for over 15 years.

Russ Farris
      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

I assume you have a T-10 with an R2, but my R1 with T-86 popped out
        of gear all the time. Its annoying for sure. I did a TKO install to
        my Avanti and the end result is very much worth it. In my thread and
        also in Avanti Magazine my article explains in detail what you need
        and how to do it. At the very least the thread explains how to get to
        the throwout bearing. Yes the trans IS heavy, I would bet its heavier
        than my T-86 was. I used a trans jack, the TKO I lifted into place.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=13734

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Would the throwout bearing be the clutch release bearing?

Rob

Comment

"Would the throw-out bearing be the clutch release bearing?"

Yes.

Does your clutch pedal happen to pulsate or drag at all?

At what point does the squeaking noise occur and does it coincide at all with the motor's RPM?

FYI: heavy duty bearings are available with a grease fitting if you end up replacing it.

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

Does your clutch pedal happen to pulsate or drag at all? Yes

At what point does the squeaking noise occur and does it coincide at all with the motor's RPM?

Squeaking noise occurs at idle and does fluctuate with the engine rpms.
              Get more amplified as I engage the pedal.

Comment

sure sounds like throwout bearing then.

you could try to grease your old one by boiling it in grease like a bicycle chain, but probably easiest to just get a new one.

I just got a really awful thought, the popping out of gear might be a busted bearing retainer...

eh, don't listen to me, just pull the trans and see what there is to see, no sense worrying until you're in there

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Release Bearing sounds like the culprit. In 1969 I jacked up my Avanti on blocks and removed T-10 to replace clutch. (no trans jack, just muscle)It "ain't no fun" but can be done..jg

Comment

quote:Originally posted by big jim

Release Bearing sounds like the culprit. In 1969 I jacked up my Avanti on blocks and removed T-10 to replace clutch. (no trans jack, just muscle)It "ain't no fun" but can be done..jg
                    I used to be able to do this too......not any more tho!! I'd pay for it for days......[xx(]

Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

It sounds like the clutch is due for replacement as the sound that you describe is a release bearing with a flat ball in it caused by driving with an out of adjustment clutch, which keeps the release bearing in contact with the clutch cover fingers, which results in the bearing continuously spinning with a load on it.The release bearing was not designed to do that. Bud

Comment

Yep -sounds like a bad bearing.

Be sure to inspect the bearing retainer for any damage while you have it out -looking for flat spots or grooves.

And make sure the clutch parts are dry and free from oil. Studebaker's like to leak sometimes, and a bad rear main or pan seal can ruin a good clutch in short order.

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

Studebaker's like to leak sometimes, and a bad rear main or pan seal can ruin a good clutch in short order.
                          Wait, what? "Sometimes"? Thats how I know to add oil ... if it stops!

Tom
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

• Remove driveshaft
                            • remove the shifter, rods, speedo, etc from the transmission
                            • remove (4) transmission-to-bellhousing bolts
                            • slide transmission back clearing the input shaft, and then push the shaft as far to the RIGHT side of the car as possible
                            • Remove the transmission crossmember while supporting the oil pan with a jack and LARGE flat piece of wood(carpeted is great)
                            • Remove the bell housing bolts, starter, and shield
                            • remove bell housing from block- this will take twisting, turning, and lots of cussing. It helps to jack the engine up a little while shifting the bellhousing rearward.
                            • Once bell housing is out- you can address bearing and clutch disc/pressure plate issues
                            • no need to remove the tranny itself from the car
                            • reassemble in reverse order
                            • refill the transmission with synthetic gear oil- it will run cooler and shift better

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                            Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

I just weighed one that is on my bench. Iron case Stude T-10; 81.5 lbs. bare.
                              Pulling the trans assy. out gives you more room to work. Plus you don't have to worry about it moving and falling. I had a bellhousing drop on my chest once. NOT a pleasent experience! A PO had broken the alignment dowel ears off, something I had missed under the sludge coating.
                              R2Andy
                              R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                              X