Surge Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surge Tank

63 R2 Avanti--- Got the carb rebuilt by the carb doctor, redid all the brakes, new radiator cap 13 lb. caused the surge tank to leak. Put old cap on 14-16lb tank quit leaking so I took my baby for a test. Ran great, stops perfect and then the water pump went out. When I replace it should I do away with the surge tank? Stud int. says that newer models have this replacement kit on them. Any advice or info? Thanks, George

George Hofstetter

There are authenticity issues if you remove it... If you can get by that, you should install a coolant recovery/overflow system to maintain the highest amount of coolant. After all, that's what the surge tank was for.

Bob Johnstone
    www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Most radiator shops can open it up and resolder it closed. Mine was
      leaking pretty bad about 10 years ago, a local shop did it for $50. I
      havent had a problem since. They loaded the solder on though.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Kind of unusual that a lower PSI cap would cause the leak as opposed to the higher one? You sure that old cap holds pressure?

I replaced my tank because of a leak at the thermostat housing and a hood clearance problem. I like the original look but I have been leak free for years now.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Comment

Are you sure that you were using the correct type of cap? They are different for open or closed systems and for different neck depths.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X