Someone help the new guy please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone help the new guy please

Ok guys i recently got an all original 53 champion 6 cylinder 3 speed car. I have always been a ford guy so i dont really know where to get help on this one. First i would like to see if anyone makes an electronic ignition conversion for the 6 volt positive ground ignition. Second does anyone still sell performance parts for the old flathead 6 like cams or intakes ect. Any help would be nice.

Thanks,
    Patrick

1953 champion

I'm not aware of any good EI for the six-volt+ system. Cathcart's been doing performance Champion sixes for a long time.

Do yourself a favor and join the Studebaker Drivers Club.
    https://secure.cornerstonereg.com/sdc/newmember.asp

You will not believe the resources available until you receive that first monthly magazine.

Click on the "HOME" link at the top of this page to find quick links to vendors, tech info and a tiny sample of the Studebaker world available to SDC members.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Welcome Patrick: Try Cathcartstudebaker.com They have high performance parts and
      they also have the electronic distributors for 6 and 12 volt studes.
      Joe

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Patrick!

Yes, speed parts are available - though not always at a bargain. Cathcarts is a great place to start, but there are other vintage parts around. You just have to hunt for them.

You also might check out Racing Studebakers here -
        http://www.racingstudebakers.com/stl...n/bb/index.php

Good luck!

Chris Pile
        Editor: The Studebaker Special
        http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The Pertronix Electronic Ignition Systems for 6 Volt Positive ground, 6 Cyl. are available from Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. email:> stude6@yahoo.com You MUST specify Autolite or Delco Dist.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The abbreviation for the best performance part for the Champion six is denoted as sbc.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

The abbreviation for the best performance part for the Champion six is denoted as sbc.

Isnt that SBC stuff what the government pays $4500 to crush now? Worth more than that to be rid of em. Steve
              sigpic

Comment

No cash for those clunkers, sorry. Too old (25 years is the maximum) and the mileage on the six is too good. The purpose of the program is for drivers to swap an inefficient, dirty car for a car with significantly better mileage and lower emissions. So I guess we'll all have to keep the Studes!

Comment

im sorry guys if i was to do any of that it would be a sbf. but im not bg into swaps like that, i feel that if you want a chevy build a chevy if you want a ford build a ford. thanks for all of the help

1953 champion

Comment

Not for the six volt, but Dave Thibeault has the all new electronic distributors (mallory) for the 12 volt six cylinder motors. I'm putting one in the 55 champion I converted to 12 volts.
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Patrick...
                      You can build a way cool vintage Champ six for that ride and tool around having tons of fun...
                      The Cathcart connections listed are a definite worthwhile thing to check out.
                      Imagine this stuffed in there...bolt in!
                      http://www.cathcartsstudebaker.com/

Sweet.....
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by patricku47

Ok guys i recently got an all original 53 champion 6 cylinder 3 speed car. I have always been a ford guy so i dont really know where to get help on this one. First i would like to see if anyone makes an electronic ignition conversion for the 6 volt positive ground ignition. Second does anyone still sell performance parts for the old flathead 6 like cams or intakes ect. Any help would be nice.

Thanks,
                      Patrick

1953 champion

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                      X