exhaust valve stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust valve stuck

will the exhaust valves in a 259 V8 engine, strike the piston if they stick open or is there enough clearance?

Under normal (stock, original parts) circumstances...no, the valves won't hit the pistons.

In a hot rod engine...yes, quite possibly. Mine would if a valve stick at full open.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. Now to get it unstuck. engine has been sitting some 30 years. Got it broke loose but two exhaust valved are stuck open. Was concerned that perhaps I has bent the valves.

Comment

I had the same problem with my 259 after it sat for 35 years. A quart of automatic trans fluid mixed in with a gallon of gas solved the problem.

Comment

mbstude
          How exactly did you get the valves loose?

Comment

A squirt of PB Blaster all around where the valve stem goes into the guide, followed the next day by a tap with a brass hammer usually will do it also.

While you're in there replace all the valve stem seals. You'll be glad you did.

thnx;, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

I had a stuck exhaust valve on my 63 Hawk from sitting several months. Did the PB Blaster mentioned above and turned the motor over. It stuck again. Got a big screwdriver and pried between the valve spring coils until it opened. Had to repeat this several times until is popped back by itself. Then ran the engine while adding a top oil. Put a pint of STP in the oil.
              hasn't recurred in over three years---but I routinely start the engine and drive it at least twice a month.
              The 1950 Champion Starlight
              Santa Barbara
              CA

Comment

A can of engine flush will help...Rislone is the brand that comes to mind but there are likely other brands as well. Follow the instructions and change the oil immediately after.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

You might also have some stuck in the closed position. This can bend pushrods when the engine is turned over. Best to make sure the valves are all free before trying to start it.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I worked on a 259 several years ago that had two exhaust valves stuck open. Nothing would free them and I finally had to remove both heads to drive the valves and the guides out of the heads. That is the only time in almost 50 years of working on Studebaker engines that I've had that happen. Bud

Comment

Working...
                    X