What is this? 55 president dashboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by N8N

if I had to guess I'd say a mount for one of those big old school compasses. but you'd think the metal of the dash would throw it off...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    I think you've got it, and the half round thing is the actual compass with the clear plastic dome top broken off. It would be interesting to see what the flat side of that looks like.

If I'm right that pin in the side has a twin on the other side and they fit in the slots on the sides of thing on the dash.

Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net
    Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Don't get me wrong , but the car is from new mexico, home of space craft crash landings, Aliens! ( Novelty Item - I'm going to look for wires now, will post more soon. mh

Comment

It looks like it has the tinest rivets,(if they made rivets a couple sixteenths big. That hold it to the dashboard. It doesn't look like it has wires behind the dash ,as far as I can see with a mirror. mh The green thing is not squishee, it's solid plastic. Maybe it was a compass!

Comment

Whatever it IS, it ain't "Studebaker". What's the flat face of that ball look like?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The flat face of the ball is a metal rim about 1/4 wide ,and runs aound the circumfrence .those hooks you see are tie together with the 1/4 wide strip. The Center part has two cutouts on eachside and a thin flat of metal, with a spring connected to the top of the dome. The inside dome is made out of metal.

Comment

Gimbal compass. The things that look like rivets going into the dash are rivets going into the dash. In most other kinds of car, the pot-metal base would have been attached to the relatively flat top of the dashboard. This one wound up here because there is no flat top to a non-Ultra Vista '55 dash.

The posts on the green part-globe did fit into the notches in the part on the dashboard; the green thing is the weight - probably a lead alloy - that kept its flat face horizontal regardless of mount angle. Posts sticking out of the flat face used to provide some kind of low-friction bearing for a magentized, rotating dome-shaped piece, probably suspended in some kind of liquid, in a clear plastic dome.

Here's the modern equivalent:

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
              In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
              If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

OK , I'll take your word on it , thanks for all the replies! It still has the orignal patina , Wow! If I take off the dash board , not sure if I would save it. Should I bring it to platville zone meet?

Comment

'Course, nobody's saying it had to be an Earth-oriented compass. Being from down by Roswell and all, it could very well have pointed the way to Alpha Centauri... or maybe even Bugsport, Maine: http://www.bondobilly.com/bugsport.html

(Thanks again BondoBilly for introducing me to Ted & friends - any idea when we're going to get another installment?)

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                  In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                  If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Working...
                  X