Best Wheels for 66 Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Best Wheels for 66 Cruiser

Hello everyone, I am in the process of looking for modern wheels for my Cruiser, when I bought it, the car had a set of Chrysler Imperial wheels that were badly bent, they would not balance up, so I found a set of 4 1963 Avanti wheels, bought them, had the tires swaped.
    Wow, what a downgrade in handling with 4 1/2" wide wheels, I was thinking of going to the wreckers and looking for some mag wheels or steel wheels that will fit the car, what should I be looking for?

Eric Harnett
    1966 Cruiser
    Hamilton Ontario
    Hamilton Chapter
    Eric Harnett
    1966 Cruiser
    Hamilton Ontario
    Hamilton Chapter

5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, about 3/4" offset. Problem is that most wheels over 6" wide don't have enough offset to properly stuff under a Stude.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

From what I remember Avanti rims were 5" wide
      Later 1966 Larks also came with 5" rims after Ser# C-134068 for 66S and C-534453 FOR 66V

You can also try the 5" rims of a 1956 Golden hawk or President Classic.
      Only the "Classic" in the sedan line had the wider rims.

Comment

Eric~
        Normally I'd be nagging you and telling you to do a search~ you'd find TONS of info if you had.
        But Nate is right-- something as big as seven inches could never fit under a '66 Stude~ or could it [?] [?] [?]

Well, I'll be dipped- it DOES fit... [:0] [)] And on a 'sister' to your car to boot!!! []

A search will net you details about these, and her next set.
        (but an email might be quicker)

Thanks again for this photo of my girl, Clark.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
        Ferndale, WA

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
        '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
        '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
        '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Eric

Please check out Bob Johnstone's Studebaker website. If you click on the Tech pages tab and then on the index for wheels you will see lots of discussion about wheels, rims, tire sizes, and proper backspacing and offset for rims. You will find his website very helpful for anything Studebaker.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I did say "most." I've got 7" wheels under my '55 as well

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Geez, I haven't logged in here in years! I'm looking back through all my old posts. I did find decent set of vintage Keystone Raiders almost 8 years ago now, Uni-lug, 7 inch wide. I think it looks pretty good! thanks for all the responses all those years back!

Eric.
              Eric Harnett
              1966 Cruiser
              Hamilton Ontario
              Hamilton Chapter

Comment

Eric - go to Cdn Tire and get a set of X40709 rims (Ford). Size: 15x6 Finish: Painted Black, Product # 009-6020-8. The price when I just checked is listed as $54.99 ea.

That's what I have on my '66 and they work great. Just can't use dog dish hubcaps.
                Ha! Just realized this was a 2009 discussion!! Oh well, more info for the archive.
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Mark57: Thanks for your response!! A clear answer!

It's really starting to bother me that there's no good interchange list for this particular question, along with many others. Interchange questions for safety are coming up more and more, yet there aren't clear answers. "Find a Ford Crown VIC wheel, or Chrysler Cordoba wheels will work" is the usual answer. " I don't know how to accomplish this, but I wish there was an SDC moderated FAQ list like what exists on the Volvo Brickboard or the SlantSix.org website! I want to drive my Studebaker, not die in it!
                  Last edited by newedmu; 04-04-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

15x7 3.75 BS, but it is a 60 new springs and ride height helps, if you like the 4x look vs the lowered look

Click image for larger version  Name:	103_0048.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	1888392

Comment

Thanks Mark!

I may do that, these Keystones kind of match the rest of my 66, being they are a little rusty, but I would like a decent set of steel rims.
                      I was 19? back when I originally posted this, and I used to ask every single question I had one here. Always got good answers, and still am!

Thanks for the Product #!

Eric.
                      Eric Harnett
                      1966 Cruiser
                      Hamilton Ontario
                      Hamilton Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by newedmu View Post
                        Mark57: Thanks for your response!! A clear answer!

It's really starting to bother me that there's no good interchange list for this particular question, along with many others. Interchange questions for safety are coming up more and more, yet there aren't clear answers. "Find a Ford Crown VIC wheel, or Chrysler Cordoba wheels will work" is the usual answer. " I don't know how to accomplish this, but I wish there was an SDC moderated FAQ list like what exists on the Volvo Brickboard or the SlantSix.org website! I want to drive my Studebaker, not die in it!
                        The cheapest source for used Ford Crown Victoria or Mercury Grand Marquis wheels (or Ford Ranger or Chrysler Cordoba) would be at automotive junkyards. If they don't have what you need they can also locate them at other auto junkyards. The Ford and Mercury wheels are steel and look just about like Studebaker wheels, except are wider and made of thicker steel. (The original Studebaker wheels can be dangerous with radial tires because the radials cause the wheel to flex and the steel can crack.) The Ford or Mercury wheels are 15 x 6" or 15 x 6.5" and have a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern (5 lugs, 4.5" diameter bolt pattern). Make a template of your Stude wheels with thin cardboard and a pencil. You will hold the cardboard behind the Stude wheel center and trace the lug holes and center on the cardboard. Take that to the junkyard to make sure you get the correct wheels. The required backspace (3.75" as I remember) should be checked, so familiarize yourself with that and take a tape measure and a paint stirrer (or 1" x 2" board) about 15" long to check the backspacing.

The more expensive solution is new wheels. wheelvintiques.com, and others make them. I believe Summit Racing sells them. Your local tire dealer may be able to get them too. There was an interchange list of parts for Studebakers compiled years ago. I don't know if that has been updated; It is a lot of work for the person who does it. Bob Johnstone's website (studebaker-info.org) is a goldmine of information of all things Studebaker. Try that.

I believe that Dave Thibeault in Mass will sell you a set of new wheels already painted the correct color. Not cheap though.

-Dwight

Comment

Working...
                        X