Race Helmet... Shopping.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race Helmet... Shopping.....

Am contemplating a trip to the strip this weekend.
    This strip requires a helmet...period.
    I pulled my old Bellstar 120 helmet out.
    I looked in it, and didn't want to put it on[xx(].
    So, I am going to shop for a new helmet.
    First thing.. I want a full face helmet.
    Don't want any graphic's package wonders.
    Just a good, safe helmet.
    What's decent out there?
    (I realize this is a forum can of worms, but I figure it might save me a few hours of shopping blind)
    Thanks ahead of time...
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Safety ratings have changed over time I think. These days my old helmet with snell whatever rating is not good enough. Do you know what the track requires?

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

No, I don't.
      Their web page just says 'helmet required for driver'.
      That being said, I want to be able to go to an IHRA, or NHRA rated track and not sweat the details.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

Safety ratings have changed over time I think. These days my old helmet with snell whatever rating is not good enough. Do you know what the track requires?

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

I'd look at your plain Jane black HJC full face, Find at your local crotch rocket and 4 wheeler places, especially if they're near a Harley Dealer.

KBC, and Arai (arai are pretty high)

And they have not gotten any cheaper since that Bell beauty.

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

IHRA, ... HELMET: SN 95 and newer or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A ...

NHRA requires a DOT, SNELL or SFI helmet for any car quicker than 14.00. There are a number of different specs so you should check with your local tech inspector.

Comment

I've used, Simpson, Arai, and Shoei.

It all depends on the shape of your head as to the comfort of the fit.
            The Arai has the most "shapes" available, but can also be the most expensive.
            The Simpson is a good bet, comfort vs. cost vs. protection.

The other two are more bike oriented helmets...but are very good in auto incidents also. I wore a bike helmet while driving my mid 9 sec. Anglia and felt completely safe.

Mike

Comment

All great comments...
              This is what I wanted.
              I can shop comfortably knowing if I look at SFI31.1A+ and SFI41.2A+ I should be OK...
              Thanks all!
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by nibbs53

IHRA, ... HELMET: SN 95 and newer or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A ...

NHRA requires a DOT, SNELL or SFI helmet for any car quicker than 14.00. There are a number of different specs so you should check with your local tech inspector.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff.

BE SAFE/HAVE A GOOD TIME AND LOTS OF FUN.

Comment

Mine's a Pyrotect. Snell SA 2005. Mainly for track days (road course). Most tracks won't allow a motor cycle (M) helmet and require an automobile helmet (SA). A Snell SA 2005 will qualify most anywhere.

http://www.pyrotecthelmets.com/

http://www.pyrotect.com/home.php?cat=4

I researched pretty thoroughly before I bought mine and Pyrotect was top rated at less than Bell, Simpson, and other bigger names.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Since Jeff brought it up, anybody know what model "The Stig" (Top Gear) wears?

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

i have an old german helmet i guest that is no longer valid? if you join nhra you get a current rule book but the last one i saw you needed a lawyer to read it.when do you need a rollbar? when do you need a roll cage?the helmet was good enough for the state of va. when i had my hog back in the early 90's.[)]

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

One oh 'his' helmets was sold on Ebay as a charity auction last April..
                        http://jalopnik.com/tag/the-stig-helmet-auction/

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

Jeff

Comment

I had a Bell M-2 when I was racing in the SCCA. The current version is the M-3.

They make them in fiberglass and Kevlar. The bad part about buying a helmet in 2009 is that the Snell rating will change in 2010. So the helmet will be recognized until 2015.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

Says "Simpson" :

Here is Clarkson 'enjoying' a Kia .... Obama's car of the future.[V]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

The Stig does whats needed to win!

Tom
                              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                              X