Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

The Lark's Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lark's Brakes

The Lark has been sitting from what I can gather around 25 years. I know that the master cylinder is shot. Do you think I should replace the brakes lines as well as the hose's. I have not checked the shoes on the car, but I doubt that they are in any condition to stay on the car. One more thing, I was reading on another post that the rear brake drums need a special puller? If so any idea where I can purchase this little jewel at? Thanks for all your help Guys.

Randy_G
    South Bend or Bust 2007!
    www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

The usual recommendation is to replace all the brake lines and hoses after that amount of time. Problem is that they can rust from the inside leaving the wall of the tube very thin. Hoses get brittle and are likely to crack, they can also fail internally, allowing leaks. It isn't an easy task, or inexpensive, but when you push the pedal, you really don't want it to go to the floor without stopping you! The puller that is required is available from several Stude vendors. Again, it isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for. The inexpensive ones, usually end up costing more, because you have to replace them after they break. I know that first-hand. The absolute requirement is that they need 3 legs to attach to the wheel lug bolt studs. Sometimes you can find them on eBay. Here's one that looks right. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Leg...QQcmdZViewItem

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by GTtim
      The puller that is required is available from several Stude vendors. Again, it isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for.
      What Tim said.

A good puller is about $150 or so. Some are cheaper. Anybody living within commute distance of me is welcome to borrow mine (shipping is kinda expensive)

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

That fateful moment - when you step on the pedal and it just goes to the floor - you won't have time to think about how you saved a few bucks by not replacing those rubber brake lines.[}] Not to worry tho, you'll have plenty of time in that hospital bed!

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

As always, don't compromise on the brake systems. Replace parts that are likely worn/weathered/compromised by time. The costs are still very reasonable. Just do it.

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

quote:Originally posted by chocolate turkey

As always, don't compromise on the brake systems. Replace parts that are likely worn/weathered/compromised by time. The costs are still very reasonable. Just do it.
            If the car quits while driving, it's a big inconvenience. If the brakes quit...that's a whole different story [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here is a link to a page that will show you how to make a puller that will work:

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...eelpuller.html

Comment

I am presently replacing/rebuilding everything for brakes on a '52 Commander. This car had been stored for 37 years, the cylinders were frozen, rubber hoses hardly had a passage way for fluid. I'm having the shoes relined. I lost brakes on a '39 Ford street rod in DesMoines due to a loose connection at a splitter and luckily the e-brake got me safely to a dealer for repair. Brake redo is cheap if you use the "Big Box" auto parts stores. I also have exhaust redone front to back for safety.....Brad

Comment

I have to agree that brake work is cheap as compared to what a brake failure could cost!!!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

When going through all the trouble of replacing the steel lines, and
                    the master cylinder, take the extra simple step to plumb everything
                    for a dual master cylinder if you werent lucky enough to have one on
                    the car from the factory (I dont remember when Larks started getting
                    them, might still be under the floor on that year?)

As I have always maintained on this and other forums, not doing all
                    possible to make sure your car will stop is irresponsible.

If you make the mistake of not wearing your seatbelt in MY Avanti,
                    you'll end up on the hood![]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Now that would be a fun deal at a Stude meet...
                      The drags are cool, but a G-tech deal would be fun too.
                      Imagine a big ol' parking lot.
                      Mark a strip to get going, and a braking area...
                      Measure it off and do some braking run off's..
                      See how fast you can go, in say... 300 feet.
                      Then see how fast you can stop.
                      Should be slow enough as not to scare people, but you could strut your Stude stuff.
                      Hmmmmmmm.... (thinking about abandoned malls in South Bend[}])
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by sbca96
                      If you make the mistake of not wearing your seatbelt in MY Avanti,
                      you'll end up on the hood![]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                      Brooklet, Georgia
                      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                      '61 Hawk (project)
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

I'm with you, Jeff. I would like to see a Stop-a-Thon at South Bend. A mall parking lot might not be big enough...I think the stops should be from 60 or 70 MPH.

My contention is that a '54 and up DRUM braked Stude will stop as good (or better) than many aftermarket disc conversions (tire size being equal). I think a true (Studebaker) engineering TEAM from the 50's and 60's might more than make up for a solo effort from this century.

It would be fun (and interesting) to see what actually happens when the rubber meets the road [8D]

SBCA, I've just got to say that I think your Avanti would look a lot better lower. The combination of the BIG mid 20th century wheel well openings and the super low profile 21st century tires just don't make it for me. I like both looks, but not together. The super low profile tires look great (IMHO) with the wheel well opening sized to the tire...

The only way to do that with the Avanti is to get it lower. Maybe photoshop it and see what you think.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well, I'll volunteer to let myself, and my truck, look stupid...
                          I'll mash all the pedals in my truck as hard as I can...[:0]
                          (I love tire smoke[])
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I'm with you, Jeff. I would like to see a Stop-a-Thon at South Bend. A mall parking lot might not be big enough...I think the stops should be from 60 or 70 MPH.

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                          Brooklet, Georgia
                          '61 Hawk (project)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:I'll mash all the pedals in my truck as hard as I can...
                            I thought you weren't going to scare anyone? That little truck will throw you in the bed... [:0][8D]

Then through the windshield.

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, Georgia
                            '59 Scotsman PU
                            '63 Daytona HT

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sounds like a neat deal to me. I'm game. I just rebuilt the whole front suspension and put in new rotors. We can see what the stock stuff can do.

Well, I'll volunteer to let myself, and my truck, look stupid...
                              I'll mash all the pedals in my truck as hard as I can...[:0]
                              (I love tire smoke[])
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                              Brooklet, Georgia
                              '61 Hawk (project)

Tim K.
                              '64 R2 GT Hawk
                              Tim K.
                              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X