Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hotrodstude
    replied
    i used to paint my underneith gold.of course the car was always painted black.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Leave a comment:

• tluz
    replied
    I wire brushed mine, then hit it with a coat of rust converter, a rattle can of Rust-o-leum automotive primer, and, because I am a bit simple and attracted to shiny things, some high-gloss silver from a rattle can. Not Concours, but it looks mighty sharp.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    I've had good results with using rustoleum "rusty metal primer" and then a coat of "satin black" over that. If the axle is out of the car, clean it well to degrease and sand or wire brush it. You could sandblast it too but be carefull about sand getting inside. Using a cheap spray gun to apply the paint gives much better results than rattle cans, IMO. The quart can paint dries a lot slower and will be a thicker coat than rattle cans too. It may take a week for the paint to dry enough not to scuff with handling.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by J. D. ENGLER

I have removed rearend from my Packard Hawk so I could POR15 the frame.
    I had removed axle to clean and rebush the springs. Now I'm wondering if I should paint it now that I have it out. Gloss or flat black or not at all. Whats the virdict?

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.
    Why dont you just clean it up and do the POR thing?

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    The two NOS axles I have are painted semi-gloss black.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    of course you should paint it, who wants to look at a rusty axle? I usually just use rattle can semi gloss, no idea what the factory finish was though.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• RareBird
    started a topic Should I paint rear axle?

Should I paint rear axle?

I have removed rearend from my Packard Hawk so I could POR15 the frame.
    I had removed axle to clean and rebush the springs. Now I'm wondering if I should paint it now that I have it out. Gloss or flat black or not at all. Whats the virdict?

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.
Working...
X