Should I paint rear axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I paint rear axle?

I have removed rearend from my Packard Hawk so I could POR15 the frame.
    I had removed axle to clean and rebush the springs. Now I'm wondering if I should paint it now that I have it out. Gloss or flat black or not at all. Whats the virdict?

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

of course you should paint it, who wants to look at a rusty axle? I usually just use rattle can semi gloss, no idea what the factory finish was though.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The two NOS axles I have are painted semi-gloss black.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by J. D. ENGLER

I have removed rearend from my Packard Hawk so I could POR15 the frame.
        I had removed axle to clean and rebush the springs. Now I'm wondering if I should paint it now that I have it out. Gloss or flat black or not at all. Whats the virdict?

Packardbakerly,
        J.D.
        Why dont you just clean it up and do the POR thing?
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I've had good results with using rustoleum "rusty metal primer" and then a coat of "satin black" over that. If the axle is out of the car, clean it well to degrease and sand or wire brush it. You could sandblast it too but be carefull about sand getting inside. Using a cheap spray gun to apply the paint gives much better results than rattle cans, IMO. The quart can paint dries a lot slower and will be a thicker coat than rattle cans too. It may take a week for the paint to dry enough not to scuff with handling.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I wire brushed mine, then hit it with a coat of rust converter, a rattle can of Rust-o-leum automotive primer, and, because I am a bit simple and attracted to shiny things, some high-gloss silver from a rattle can. Not Concours, but it looks mighty sharp.

Comment

i used to paint my underneith gold.of course the car was always painted black.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

Working...
              X