No announcement yet.

Anybody replaced an Avanti door hinge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree. The price of Avantis on eBay appears to have taken a downturn in the last few months. But, I wanted a Studebaker Avanti, not an Avanti II. I also wanted the R2 version. And, I can deal with alot of problematic things. But I was most afraid of a bad frame, hog troughs, supercharger, trans, and/or internal motor trouble. [:0] So far my car hasn't developed these issues (yet). And I'm praying it doesn't. [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

15 Grand will buy a pretty schnazzy Avanti or Avanti 11. My e-bay observations. I've seen nice ones as of late going for less than 12. Check the completed listings. jimmijim
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Comment

WCP, I'm familiar with the cracking that occurs around the window lift master pivot. It can be found on both manual and power window cars. Both my Avantis were/are manual windows, and both had damage there.

I've run across a source for an electric window lift that is basically a linear actuator which moves a little "sled" along a track. The track is curved with a curve that looks to be close to that of the Avanti door glass. The only thing I'm not sure about is the travel on it. Might not be enough. But if these things could be made to work, they would take almost ALL the load off that flexy inner panel, and get rid of close to 5 pounds of dead weight, too.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord, keep us posted on your investigation of the alternate window lift! Just removing weight would help the doors a lot.

Comment

Erv Castleberry, the owner of Specialty Power Window Company, in Georgia told me during my last visit that he would be more than happy to make an Avanti specific power window kit, provided someone could get him a complete sample door to make the prototype from.
          SPW has a great product line, and they have the best warranty on the planet.
          Here's their website...
          http://www.specialtypowerwindows.com/main.php
          HTIH
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by gordr

<snip>
          I've run across a source for an electric window lift that is basically a linear actuator which moves a little "sled" along a track. The track is curved with a curve that looks to be close to that of the Avanti door glass. The only thing I'm not sure about is the travel on it. Might not be enough. But if these things could be made to work, they would take almost ALL the load off that flexy inner panel, and get rid of close to 5 pounds of dead weight, too.

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
          X