Lark Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Oil Filter

Several months ago I bought a '59 Lark VI 2-door wagon (59S-D6) which came from the factory without an oil filter, and I'd like to install one (correctly). From the parts manual, it appears an accessory filter could be dealer installed. I've gathered the parts (F4 filter 532572x2, bracket 1548428, and flexible inlet/outlet hoses 1548288/1548287) but am not sure where to put them. The parts book kind of shows the bracket and filter towards the rear on the driver's side, but the hoses would be nowhere long enough. I'm guessing the filter supply line comes from just ahead of the oil pump (like our M5 pickup) but space on the passenger side front of the engine is at a premium. Also, where would the outlet line dump to?

Thanks for your help!

Doug Jackman

I saw a '59 Lark VI 2 door wagon (Regal) for sale on Ebay a short time ago. I recall there was an engine pic showing the oil cannister, it might also show the lines. (Sorry, I live in dial-up land or I'd fetch the URL for you)
    Andrew
    '49 2R5
    '59 Lark VI wagon

Andrew
    '49 2R5
    '59 Lark 2 door waggon
    '48 Chev 1 ton

Comment

If you belong to SDC, Dave Mottle maintains an archive of instruction sheets and templates for Studebaker accessories. You would need to order it by AC number (for the whole kit) and send him a SASE. His address is usually listed every couple of months along with other committee chairs.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I'll try to contact Dave Mottle, but the '59-'64 Lark/Hawk parts book does not offer an AC number for the 59S oil filter kit, only the 59V and '60 on up. It's possible that one of those may be of help -- I'll certainly try. Thanks again -

Doug

Comment

The mounting and connections are pretty universal for many years of the flat head engines. Perhaps this will help.

[img][/img]

John Clary
          Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
          SDC member since 1975
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pammie9

Thanks to both of you. I'll try to contact Dave Mottle, but the '59-'64 Lark/Hawk parts book does not offer an AC number for the 59S oil filter kit, only the 59V and '60 on up. It's possible that one of those may be of help -- I'll certainly try. Thanks again -

Doug
            The parts you bought are for the replaceable cartridge type. As I'm sure you noticed, Stude also offered the more modern sealed can type. Its kit was AC-2938. Even though the major parts are different, the hoses probably attach to the same places, so the instructions might still be helpful.

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip if your talking about the spin on filters those were very easy to change without much mess.

Sold it on ebay couple years ago for around $30.

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

Skip if your talking about the spin on filters those were very easy to change without much mess.

Sold it on ebay couple years ago for around $30.

ChopStu
                Kevin-
                Yeah. "Sealed can type" is what the Stude parts book called it.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  I didn't know that. [V] I do now.

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC
                    I didn't know that. [V] I do now.

ChopStu
                    It's important to know this stuff. There might be a test some day.

Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pammie9

Several months ago I bought a '59 Lark VI 2-door wagon (59S-D6) which came from the factory without an oil filter, and I'd like to install one (correctly). From the parts manual, it appears an accessory filter could be dealer installed. I've gathered the parts (F4 filter 532572x2, bracket 1548428, and flexible inlet/outlet hoses 1548288/1548287) but am not sure where to put them. The parts book kind of shows the bracket and filter towards the rear on the driver's side, but the hoses would be nowhere long enough. I'm guessing the filter supply line comes from just ahead of the oil pump (like our M5 pickup) but space on the passenger side front of the engine is at a premium. Also, where would the outlet line dump to?
                      How about just not bothering with an oil filter? My '61 Cruiser didn't have one and I drove it 65,000 miles- just changed the oil every 1,000 miles. If you're only putting a few hundred or so miles a year on the car, you will be changing your oil once ot twice a year anyhow.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I checked Dave Mottle's list, but he doesn't show the AC-2938 Oil Filter & Kit, or the AC-3064 that supercedes it. Again, my car is a 59S Lark, with the flathead 170 Champion motor. Whether I use the "Replaceable Cartridge" type (which I have on the bench) or the "Sealed Can" type, both are partial flow (which is fine with me - same as our M5 snd 56J) but I still don't know where the supply and return hoses ago.

The old girl (the Lark, not my wife) has made it 50 years without a filter, but I guess I'd still feel better if it had one.

I'll keep rooting around -- that's a good part of the fun for me -- and in the meantime, thanks to all.

Doug

Comment

Doug,
                          Here is a photo of the AC-2938 Oil Filter Kit and a JPEG of the Instructions. One of the hoses appears to be missing from the kit. I hope this helps.

Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
                          1961 Lark Crusier
                          1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                          Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Thanks, Dan. All the pieces are now in place. Although I'll be using the "replaceable cartridge" type instead of the "sealed can" type, the inlet and outlet hoses are the same (according to the parts book) and the filter mounts in the same location. The mystery (to me) was the routing of the supply hose. Never thought about using the oil pressure sending unit hole. Using that location, the inlet hose is now long enough, and I'm confident that the installation is correct and will pass scrutiny on the 18th fairway at Pebble Beach :-).

Thanks, Dan, and thanks to all for your suggestions.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                            X