• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rkapteyn
    replied
    From some of the comments about Lionel Stone I believe that not everyone is
    aware that Lionel had a bad accident in his 2005 Ford pickup
    on the way to Cedar Rapids for the Studebaker National meet.
    His wife Elaine was killed and Lionel was very seriously injured.
    I doubt that he will be back in a month.
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    I GOT AN AFTER MARKET VALVE AND ADAPTOR FROM EBON 956 423 6300 REAL CHEAP.
    WORKS GREAT! HE SPECIALIZES ON STUDEBAKER AIR CONDITIONERS AND IS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE
    BOB

Leave a comment:

• Kenmike2
    replied
    A binary (or trinary) switch anywhere in the ssystem will shut off the compressor if the system pressure gets too high. It's a good saftey feature. If you're working on the system when that hose decides to let go you could be severely injured and/or blinded. I always install the safety switch in every system I build.
    Ken Michael

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    If it is the expansion valve, don't run the a/c. Years ago with the '63 R1 I used to own, I had the a/c running and suddenly there was an explosion under the hood. The expansion valve had clogged and the pressure built up until the high pressure hose exploded off the compressor. The underhood insulation was shredded and lubricating oil coated everything under the hood. It was quite a mess to clean up.

If you need an expansion valve, I believe Nostalgic Motors carries them.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    Like WCP said, most likely a plugged or inoperative expansion valve. It has a real small orifice.

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    Sounds like a defective or closed expansion valve. They are replaceable without removing the evaporator.

Leave a comment:

• dan snow
    replied
    thanks guys. yep, danny called Lionel Stone and his phone msg says call back in a month, so he may still be in the hospital. Wishing him well and hope his health issues are soon resolved.

as for the condenser, I'm pretty sure Dan knows it's ok, but I dont' know any details. I know the shop it was at ealier this week said they put however many pounds of pressure to the evaporator and nuttin' would go through, hence he thinks it's clogged. It was blowing air, just not cold air. Danny looked last night and said he can tell the evaporator has been out before, so it must have had issues before.
    I think we may bite the bullet and buy a new evaporator from Nostalgic motors...but he is going to take the current one out and have it checked to be sure that's the problem.
    hopefully, it'll have AC again before fall, cuz I'd like to drive it a bit before winter/salt hits the midwest again.
    thanks again for all input!
    mel

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Dick Clemens
    replied
    Lionel Stone is still in the hospital in Oklahoma City as far as I know. I think it will be a while before he's back in business.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Leave a comment:

• Retired
    replied
    See TW's L-Stone ad $25.00

Richard

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Seems unusual for an evaporator to go bad. Its usually the condenser mounted in front of the radiator that gets hit with debris from things flying up into it on the road. Have you taken the evaporator out already? If so, take it to an A/C repair or a welding shop & see if they can weld it. You could also try one of the Studebaker vendors such as Jon Myer.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Leave a comment:

• dan snow
    started a topic Avanti A/C evaporator

Avanti A/C evaporator

I am in need of an evaporator for my lovely wife's '64 Avanti. Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can buy one, or perhaps an interchange? An additional e-mail is dsnow@schillerhardware.com
    Thanks!
Working...
X