X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan White
    replied
    Bob:

After having worked on mine now for several days I can probably tell you why yours is reading full and fill up and then dropping to 5/8. If you have a wire wound sending unit, like the original one (note the new ones being sold by SI and others use a ceramic thick film circuit and no longer use the wires) depending how the arm hitting its stop the wiper can short to ground at full by hitting the stop which is at ground. As soon as the level drops even a small amount it will no longer short and start to read as it is supposed to, the sender that is, not the gauge. Now you have the same issue I do with the gauge, it is not reading full when it is supposed to. I actually got mine to do exactly what yours is doing when I was trying to get it to work. I thought great I have a fix, but then realized what had done.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    Hi Dan,
    You might try a couple listed here. They've been tried and recommended over the years.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjvs.html#gauger

As an aside, my 64 GT gas guage reads all the way to full when I fill it up, but once on the road again, it drops back to 5/8 full also. Go figure...

Bob Johnstone
    www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    started a topic Gas Gauge Repair

Gas Gauge Repair

OK i have given up trying to fix my gas gauge my replacing the sending unit and checking the grounds. I have tried everything and wasted a lot of time on this problem. I am still getting 5/8 to 3/4 on the gauge reading when the sending unit is at the top. I have checked the ground and it is good. I ground the gauge and it goes to full. I have tried two new sending units and gotten the same reading so I am guessing that there is something amiss in the gauge.

I have had mixed results with gauge rebuilders over the years. I want someone that knows what they are doing and not charge me an arm and a leg to do it. The last guy I used actually subbed out the work to another shop and hit me for and $30 more than the other shop charges! I plan to send both the gauge and the sending unit so there is not mistaking what it should be doing.

Anyone have a good recommendation on a gauge rebuilder?

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
Working...
X