Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    Thanks, Paul. I can't imagine engineering approving of that design. I hope all existing got swapped out for 'modern' ones.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

• Clover Green
    replied
    I think with the help I've had here it will go just fine. Thanks everyone.

Andrew
    '49 2R5
    '59 Lark 2 door waggon
    '48 Chev 1 ton

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Hey Clove...you supply the gas, food, and lodging...I'll drive the 1,362 miles and help you run that thing.[8D]

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• Clover Green
    replied
    Final question, I hope. Which coil terminal gets connected to the negative terminal on the battery, + or -. Logic tells me negative: just want to be sure.

Andrew
    '49 2R5
    '59 Lark 2 door waggon
    '48 Chev 1 ton

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Tom B

the 51 and 52 V8s had a two piece distributor drive, but have never seen one.
    Tom Bredehoft
    Tom,

Dug out a '51/'52 distributor and snapped a pic:

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    The points in the distributor are subject to pitting, over time, when they break apart. With a six volt system they are manageable, needing reworking (dress or replace) every 12,000 to 20,000 miles. If the voltage is increased to 12 volts, they last about 1/4 of that time. If a resistor, cutting the voltage to the points down to 6 volts, is installed they last the normal length of time.

So...a resistor is not needed in a six volt system.

Tom Bredehoft
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

• Clover Green
    replied
    Buddymander mentioned a resistor in the battery/coil wire. Clarification please as this hasn't been mentioned before. Yes, I am running 6 volts.

Andrew
    '49 2R5
    '59 Lark 2 door waggon
    '48 Chev 1 ton

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    Paul, I bow to your familiarity with the early Champions and their distributors. My '53 (with its 52 engine) must have been retrofittd, When I pull the distributor, everything comes out. I knew that the 51 and 52 V8s had a two piece distributor drive, but have never seen one.

Andrew, I'm talking about the ignition switch that tells the coil it has juice. My phrase, "starter start terminal" was not readily understandable, I guess.

Tom Bredehoft
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Did anyone mention the resistor for the distributor wire?
    Why is that needed on a 6-volt car?

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Leave a comment:

• buddymander
    replied
    Did anyone mention the resistor for the distributor wire?

Leave a comment:

• Clover Green
    replied
    Ton B...you wrote "Light, 14 or so gage to the coil from the starter start terminal and/or accessory terminal". I'm not following this. If the coil is fed from the starter won't the starter need to have continuous power for the engine to run? I'd thought the coil should be fed from the battery terminal???

Andrew
    '49 2R5
    '59 Lark 2 door waggon
    '48 Chev 1 ton

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Tom B

The oil pump is driven by a gear on the cam shaft, yes, BUT.

The bottom of the distributor drive goes from the distributor (driven) gear to the oil pump. If the distributor is out, there will be no oil pumped. Tom Bredehoft
    Tom,

What you state about no oil being pumped if the distributor is out [u]is</u> correct for the '53 thru '64 Studebaker V8s. However, this is [u]not</u> the case for the '51-'52 V8, Champion 6, Commander 6, and the OHV 6. The drive gear on these engines does not come out when the distributor is pulled.

As John Clary notes, you can't prime these 6-cylinder engines with a drill. Clover Green is working on a Champion 6, so he will have to prime the pump as John describes.

You can prime the '51-'52 V8s by removing the 'adapter' piece bolted to the block. In '53 this adapter piece and the distributor were combined into one assembly.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

edited to add info on '51-'52 V8s

Leave a comment:

• Clover Green
    replied
    Thanks for the input everyone. Hadn't thought of a temp gauge.. and I will install the rad. Sounds safer.
    Andrew

Andrew
    '49 2R5
    '59 Lark 2 door waggon
    '48 Chev 1 ton

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Ok...it has been 12 or more years since I have been far enough into one of my engines (time flies when you're having fun) to require having the distributor or oil pump out. So I decided to do a little home work and refresh my memory before adding more to this topic.Earlier, I had posted that I used a spare distributor with the gear removed to pump oil through the engine. That was on a V8, not a 6 cylinder. When I overhauled my 259 V8 lark engine, I used an old distributor with the drive gear removed to place in the engine and pump oil through the engine before cranking and running it. You can spin the oil pump this way with a drill motor. However, on the Flathead 6 cylinder engines, the gear that engages the cam gear is on the oil pump. I assembled my 6 cylinder engines using liberal amounts of white grease when putting everything together including the oil pump gears. After getting everything back together I used a small pump type oil can to fill the oil pump with engine oil at the little fitting for the oil gauge on top of the oil pump. Then with the spark plugs and coil wire removed, I spun the engine until oil pressure built up on the gauge. After that, I put the plugs in, coil wire on and fired the engine up. Ran the engine until it reached normal operating temp...shut it down...changed the oil again just in case there might have been some contaminants from the final assembly. This might be too wasteful or overly cautious to some of you professionals, but for me it has worked well.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    The oil pump is driven by a gear on the cam shaft, yes, BUT.

The bottom of the distributor drive goes from the distributor (driven) gear to the oil pump. If the distributor is out, there will be no oil pumped. Yes, with the distributor in, there will be, and if all the bearings were slathered with startup lube, no problem, but did you do that? or are you trusting that someone else did it?

Light, 14 or so gage to the coil from the starter start terminal and/or accessory terminal.

Wiring.. You need the battery to the solenoid, heavy, ditto to the starter, light wire to the starter switch from the solenoid (this depends on model, or age.) Some Champions have a starter solenoid, some don't.

Exhaust, no, unless you run the engine long enough to get it hot (and without radiator you wont' do that)

Transmission, no.

Tom Bredehoft
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

Working...
X