Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bison
    replied
    Guys not to sound stupid [:I]as I am new to rebuilding an engine but isn't the oil pump driven by a gear on the camshaft in the champ engine ? doesn't the engine have to be running for the pump to deliver oil ? I only ask because I am also rebuilding the engine and I was giving this some thought. I hope I am wrong because I would also like to prime the engine using the above mentioned method before I start it up.
    thanks , Blake

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    If you opt for the old distributor shaft or other for turning just the oil pump with an electric drill motor, turn it left handed, backwards. that way it will pump oil thru the system

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Put it in the car and fire it up. Turn it over a while before inserting the coil wire into the distributor cap. jimmijim
    This is another good suggestion. Since a new rebuild should have great compression...remove the spark plugs and spin it so you don't have the drag of compression during the priming process. Just make sure to use the starter motor until you see oil pressure build. You don't want to overheat the starter motor.

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    Put it in the car and fire it up. Turn it over a while before inserting the coil wire into the distributor cap. jimmijim

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    You definitely need to prime the oil pump. I think you can do it "statically" by filling it at the gauge line fitting at the top of the pump. When I have done an engine, I used a spare distributor shaft without the gear to engage the oil pump and a drill motor to spin it. In this way I was able to circulate oil through the engine before firing it up. I also used straight 30 Wt oil and ran the engine until it reached normal temp...shut it down...drained and discarded the oil...refilled with new oil and it has been going strong for at least 15 years. I have not run mine on a test stand. I installed them back into the cars with the front clip off so the chassis was my test stand. What ever you do...prime the pump, and install an oil & temp gauge so you can monitor the engine as it warms up. Good luck.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• Clover Green
    started a topic test starting & running a newly rebuilt Champion

test starting & running a newly rebuilt Champion

I want to test run my newly rebuilt and restored Champion engine in a stand before reuniting it with the chassis of my '49 2R5 later this fall. I have oil in the crankcase (with ZDDPlus), an oil pressure gauge, choke is hooked up, fuel and vacuum plumping is installed, I have a 6 volt battery, gas and a fire extinguisher. I figure I'm about ready to go but I have a few questions...

- what are the minimum electrical connections I need to start, run and stop the engine?
    - what gauge wire do I need from battery to the coil?
    - I assume the generator doesn't need to be wired at this time?
    - do I need to prime the oil pump (it was rebuilt in the process)? how?
    - other than the noise, is there any reason why I shouldn't exhaust straight off the manifold?
    - any reason why the transmission should be installed? or not?

My project has been underway for three years and this engine hasn't run for 15-20 so it's a big moment - never done this before so suggestions please.
    Andrew in Nova Scotia.

Andrew
Working...
X