Puzzling ignition switch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzling ignition switch problem

Today I drove my 1951 Landcruiser about 3 miles to a local peach farm to pick up some fresh peaches. On the way...I noticed my fuel gauge was not operating. When I returned home, I switched over to the accessory side and the gauge worked fine... Back to the run position and it dropped back to empty. A year or two ago, I had the same problem on my '55 truck but it mysteriously cleared up. Anybody have a similar experience? I suspect it is a minor problem, but before I dive into it, I thought I would check the "wisdom" of the forum.

Additional question...when did Studebaker start using an ignition switch with an "Accessory" position? My '48 champ only has "On" and "Off" positions.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Did any of the other accessories work when the gas gauge was not? The acc. are hooked to a terminal so you can turn them on in either the acc. position or the run position. If one acc. is out they should all be out. This would indicate it may be the contacts inside the switch.
    Rob

Comment

Well...I am watching the NASCAR Indy race and during a caution I went out to check regarding the other accessories. (Of course you know that it is a '51) But just as soon as I turned the switch and hit the starter...the gas gauge started working. Must be some anomaly, or I am better at fixing things than even I know.

I turned on the radio and it works OK. I turned the switch on and off a few times and it continued to work normal. I guess these little quirks can be expected for a car that sits for days without being run.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'd replace it on principle if you can find a new one. Had a similar problem on my '55 but it was the starter staying engaged... that's Not Good...

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I'd replace it on principle if you can find a new one. Had a similar problem on my '55 but it was the starter staying engaged... that's Not Good...

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          I think you misunderstood the problem. The starter is not hanging up. The problem is the intermittent working fuel gauge with the ignition switch in the "On" position. On the 51 the starter is not part of the ignition switch. Since it is an automatic, the starter is a pull switch on the left side of the steering column next to the hood latch. When I went out to put the Land Cruiser back into the shed, it worked normal again. Perhaps I need to shoot some contact lube into the switch.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Might clean the terminals on the switch also.

Comment

I have the same thing happen. Wound up replacing the switch after a while of wiggling it while driving. The contacts inside are corrodded most likely.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              61 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              63 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              45 Agricat
              67 Triumph T100
              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

You mean the contacts could have corroded in only 58 years! [:0]How utterly revolting! Somebody must have been slack in the QC department.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

quote:Originally posted by N8N

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  I think you misunderstood the problem. The starter is not hanging up. The problem is the intermittent working fuel gauge with the ignition switch in the "On" position. On the 51 the starter is not part of the ignition switch. Since it is an automatic, the starter is a pull switch on the left side of the steering column next to the hood latch. When I went out to put the Land Cruiser back into the shed, it worked normal again. Perhaps I need to shoot some contact lube into the switch.
                  I skipped some steps in my post. there's two reasons why you wouldn't get "acc" hot in the on position - one is corroded contacts. another is parts working loose inside the switch which can cause other problems, like a car that won't shut off, starter that won't disengage, etc...

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                  X