Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surface Rust on Freshly-Turned Journals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the embarrassment is a problem, just come up with some story about how your wife found out about your girlfriend and sprayed windex on your crank...

Comment

Use a strip of leather and and kerosene. OOPs, too old school for yall.
      Then use a strip of leather and wd-40.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Flashback

Use a strip of leather and and kerosene. OOPs, too old school for yall.
        Then use a strip of leather and wd-40.

Tex E. Grier
        I like old school. Old car old school. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Did polydyn coat the backs of the bearing inserts too?

Comment

I used WD 40 and a long piece of binder twine. That's a fiber string used to bale hay. A lot of plastic twine is used today to bale hay. The twine was easy to pull back and forth and did a nice job of conforming to the shape of the jounals. The journals cleaned!

Comment

It takes a genius athlete, armed with a micrometer, to use one of these and NOT polish measureable taper into crank journals.

http://www.abs-products.com/abs_imag...d-polisher.jpg

Even then, severely dulling a new belt first is necessary.

Tolerances to shoot for are on page 35-36 here. (Yes, street engines can "get away" with more)
              http://mahleclevite.com/publications/EB-40-07.pdf
              Lots of other interesting info, including the importance of directional polishing

Comment

"If the embarrassment is a problem, just come up with some story about how your wife found out about your girlfriend and sprayed windex on your crank..."
                " Whats so wrong with taking it back to the shop and having it professionally prepped? I don't take chances with cranks."

Well, he DID say he'd moved - maybe he moved too far for it to be a practical matter - taking it back to the shop that turned it.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                X