Clutch pilot tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch pilot tool

Can anyone recomend a clutch pilot tool that will work with both Lark and Champ era sixes and eights (or just the sixes for the time being)

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

The time-honored solution to this is to obtain the input shaft from a scrap transmission that matches your vehicle.

There are "universal" alignment tools made, and you can usually get one at a good automotive parts house.

You can also center the clutch disc (except on diaphragm clutches) by hand. Install the disc and pressure plate, and do up the screws finger-tight, or slightly more. You want there to be enough "grip" that the disc won't fall to the low side, but can still be moved readily by finger pressure or a light pry with a screwdriver.

Once this degree of grip has been achieved, reach a finger or two into the 3 openings spaced around the perimeter of the pressure plate basket. You should be able to easily feel the edge of the pressure plate itself and the edge of the disc. Probably the disc will be sticking out beyond the edge of the pressure plate at one point, and well inside its perimeter at others. Use finger pressure or a screw driver to move the disc in the required direction. You may have to slacken or tighten screws if it moves too stiffly or too freely. When the disc is centered, it will be uniformly "inside" the edge of the pressure plate all the way around, and your fingers will feel a uniform "step" where they meet, and this step should be equal wherever you can reach it. If the step "feels" equal all the way around, as far as your fingertips are concerned, the pressure plate should be adequately centered to enable you to stab the transmission in place.

This method has worked for me dozens of times. No question a centering tool is faster, but that's more important for a guy working in a flat-rate shop.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I bought one for a Chevy a few years back & just built up the part for the pilot bushing with some masking tape (shades of a CASO). It worked well for the few times I've used it.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

I bought one for a Chevy a few years back & just built up the part for the pilot bushing with some masking tape (shades of a CASO). It worked well for the few times I've used it.

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        Warren,

That's not being a CASO.....that's just being creative!

Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Jeff, Do you have a wood lathe? Make a couple out of wood dowels, you don't have to put in splines. I have the bracket template made for the shifter but have changed over to a plasma cutter for stainless on my pantograph. Let me know what the inside diameter is of the clutch disk and I will send one with the shifter bracket. Been looking for a shifter but the CASO in me will not let me spend $100 or more that guys are asking for decent Hurst 3 speed shifters.

Comment

When I had the clutch rebuilt for my 64 avanti, the rebuilder had a tool for an early jeep. fit perfectly.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Old input shafts are the best when available. I have a couple of wood pilot tools, and I do like Warren suggests with tape when I need other sizes.

THomas

Long time hot rodder
              Packrat junk collector
              '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Just replaced my sons Rambler clutch. The bell housing wraps completely around with no dust cover or access to clutch of any kind. Lined up the clutch disk with closest thing I could find. When installing the transmission, pushed clutch pedal down to release clutch and wiggled tranny into place.

Comment

I have a good clutch allignment tool. Dont remember the brand probably an old Calvan as I bought it more then 20 years ago. It has an asssortment of pilot tips so you just pick out the one the right size and thread it on the tip. I have tried the plastic ones and they were second rate at best. I also have two input shafts from shot transmissions and when I last replaced the clutch in my 64 I used one of those simply because it needed to be dead on since Hays clutches are expensive and grab with 5000 foot pounds and my transmission is a heavy toploader.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  61 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  63 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  45 Agricat
                  67 Triumph T100
                  66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment