Magnafluxing rear axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnafluxing rear axles

I'm pulling the rear axles shafts on my TT, 64 R-1 auto Avanti soon; it's been 30,000 miles since the axle bearings have been greased.

Since I will have them out anyway, I was thinking about having them magnafluxed...all that talk about breaking tapered rear axles a while back got my attention. 130,000 miles since new, and I don't drive it hard. What's the general opinion about this? Any idea what magnafluxing a pair of axles might cost?

Russ Farris R-1 Avanti
    R-2 GT Hawk
    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Russ,

My opinion is just don't mess with the tapered axles.....use the flanged axle conversion kit from Fairborn Studebaker!

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Check with a shop that does that work. See what they charge.

Comment

I'd check on the cost and compare it to the flanged axle upgrade.
        Keep us up to date on the cost and what the results might be.
        Russ
        quote:Originally posted by maxpower1954

I'm pulling the rear axles shafts on my TT, 64 R-1 auto Avanti soon; it's been 30,000 miles since the axle bearings have been greased.

Since I will have them out anyway, I was thinking about having them magnafluxed...all that talk about breaking tapered rear axles a while back got my attention. 130,000 miles since new, and I don't drive it hard. What's the general opinion about this? Any idea what magnafluxing a pair of axles might cost?

Russ Farris R-1 Avanti
        R-2 GT Hawk

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Well, the Fairborn web site seems to be hacked, many of the links are corrupted and I can't get any info on the price of the flanged rear axle conversion. I'll call them Monday, but in the meantime, does anyone know how much? Russ Farris R-1 Avanti
          R-2 GT Hawk
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Around $500.00 when I bought some 2 years ago.

Well, the Fairborn web site seems to be hacked, many of the links are corrupted and I can't get any info on the price of the flanged rear axle conversion. I'll call them Monday, but in the meantime, does anyone know how much? Russ Farris R-1 Avanti
            R-2 GT Hawk
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I spoke to Jack, the owner of Carolina Crankshaft in Charlotte. The price to wet magnaflux both tapered rear axles on the Avanti is...(drum roll, please)... 20.00 dollars! I had to ask him twice and a few test questions to make sure he hadn't been drinking - that's not much more than a haircut around here. Said it takes about an hour.

I could never get in touch with Fairborn to check on the flanged axle conversion, msybe they are out of town. But for 20.00 dollars and some piece of mind, magnafluxing sounds like the way to go, especially for a Sunday driver. Russ Farris
              1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Just make sure they are clean and dry when you take them over there...
                He'll thank you for it.
                Jeff[8D]

I spoke to Jack, the owner of Carolina Crankshaft in Charlotte. The price to wet magnaflux both tapered rear axles on the Avanti is...(drum roll, please)... 20.00 dollars! I had to ask him twice and a few test questions to make sure he hadn't been drinking - that's not much more than a haircut around here. Said it takes about an hour.

I could never get in touch with Fairborn to check on the flanged axle conversion, msybe they are out of town. But for 20.00 dollars and some piece of mind, magnafluxing sounds like the way to go, especially for a Sunday driver. Russ Farris
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Funny you should say that Jeff, because he already mentioned it to me. Russ Farris
                  1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                  1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Yes, always clean your shaft prior to bringing in for inspection.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                    X