Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Dormant transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dormant transmission

I have a 59 Lark 6/auto that was stored in a barn and not driven for 25 years...Motor has been cranked up and is basically running well.

Trans seems to have been sitting filled with fluid,fluid appears fresh/normal. I would like to make sure before I put it under load I have done what I can to give the best shot a living...that is an $$s part !

This would have been down the road but the pace where I dropped it they need to move it. I dont want to muck it up but I would need to go help (an hour away) if it cant be moved under its power.

I'd just change the fluid, clean the screen, adjust the bands and drive. Not much else you can do, and if there's nothing wrong with it, that's all you need to do. If there *is* something wrong with it that hasn't shown itself yet, you won't know until you start driving it anyway.

If it only needs to move "around the block" and the old fluid appears uncontaminated, it should be fine as is, again, unless there's a problem that hasn't been identified yet.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Why not put jack stands under the rear axle & run it thru the gears first? True it wont be the same as driving it, but the no-load initial run would be easy on the mechanicals & loosen anything that might otherwise be tight & fail.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Make darn sure that you check the transmission fluid LEVEL in the CORRECT manner. Then just drive it. Isn't your transmission one that has to be checked in DRIVE with the engine running? Have fun with that procedure; it's the ONLY way.

Comment

Working...
        X