Anyone runnung on LPG, propane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone runnung on LPG, propane?

I'm interested in running one of my Studes on propane for several reasons, cleaner exhaust, longer engine life, etc.

Anyone already doing this?

If so, what kind of equipment are you using?

Any problems to be aware of?

Thanks!

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
    Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
    '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '53 John Deere 50
    '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
    '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

I am a IPCO certified propane installer and have run many Studes on LPG. The easiest to convert is a truck. Bad part of LPG is the weight and size of the tanks. You can convert a truck for less than $500, but electronic fuel injection is so much better I don't see why you would want to do it other than the fuel is cheep or you have a good supply.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

I am a IPCO certified propane installer and have run many Studes on LPG. The easiest to convert is a truck. Bad part of LPG is the weight and size of the tanks. You can convert a truck for less than $500,
      Alan, is this a straight Propane (Bean?) injecter/Carb. The dual gas setups were not that good.
      Is the $500.00 parts only?
      I was quoted $3000.00 in Canada to convert one of my '64 Stude. Daytonas to straight Propane.
      I agree, my 1 Ton 7E-13 pickup would be easier though.

I have driven many miles (160 a day) with a Propane only, '82 Ford small block 400 V-8, 1 Ton, long wheelbase Maxi-Van (Econoline E-350) it was a Co. Vanpool window van, and the oil NEVER got dirty and it ran great.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I run the OHG 4 BBL. Mixer and Baker tank is just a couple of blocks away from me. You can pick up a used tank for $25 that is still certified. If you go new on everything including the labor $3,000 is about right. I was just figuring that the guy had a line on the parts since most CASO's wouldn't pay more for their fuel system than they would pay for their cars.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mausersmth

I'm interested in running one of my Studes on propane for several reasons, cleaner exhaust, longer engine life, etc.
          Anyone already doing this?
          If so, what kind of equipment are you using?
          Any problems to be aware of?
          The 'RHD '64 GT I bought from England was set up for dual fuel. It had an American made mixer which released propane at the top of the carb which I believe was a stock, unmodified Stromberg WW. I know the propane flow was dependent on the ignition being on as it would cut off when the key was off. It had two 55 liter tanks in the trunk with separate fillers extending down just behind the left rear tire. With the weight of the tanks, overload springs had been installed. You switched between the fuels with a knob and a switch on the dash. To me the change was invisible. It ran equally strong on either fuel. The nice thing about the propane was the virtually instant cold starts it allowed. When I picked up the car at the Port of Baltimore, it hadn't been run for several weeks and it had been drained of gasoline for shipping requirements (apparently they didn't know about the propane). Following the PO's instructions, I set it up to start on propane. Upon turning the key the engine made two revolutions, started and ran smoothly. I drove it from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, WV with no problems. When I sold the car to a man in Detroit, I drove it out. I was clipping along about 70 mph on the Ohio TP when the old bias ply left rear tire blew and the tread tore off both propane fillers losing all my LP. I had been running on LP to burn it down some, but switched back to gas for the rest of the trip. I had filled with gasoline and the LP tanks were pretty full when I left. I didn't buy any fuel until I was about three miles from the buyer's home at which time I filled with gasoline. That was a trip of about 475 miles.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Although I've never actually owned an LPG fueled vehicle, I have driven a few, and have a few observations. They do indeed burn very clean, and your engine oil won't even be slightly darkened after 3000 miles of driving. I've found that a propane fueled rig can be rather hard to start at very cold tempuratures (about 15 degrees F, and below), and they don't seem to have the power that a gasoline engine does. My only real gripe is that propane isn't always real easy to find in all places at all times. This may not apply if you don't plan on traveling long distances, though. I often do my long distance traveling at night, and wouldn't want to try to find propane at 3:30AM. Any type of fuel gauge you may have is just about useless, too. You can park with 3/4 of a tank, and come back the next morning to 3/8. It may travel up to 5/8 or 3/4 again after warming up. Just make sure you do your homework before converting... The cost of propane vs. gasoline, availability, etc. LH
            Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Hey ,thought I was the only one but apperently not.
              Lpg on a289 is allright it is better if you use the valve protection system of Flash Lube,it works now for 50 k kms with minor as no valve timing in three years.
              Oil stays cleaner because of no coal contaminants seen no sludge too last time the oil pan was off.
              The four barrel Carteris somewhat changed: no choke system also no choke valves,but hand throttle.
              No preheating system whit valves and springs ect.
              Use the most upper vacuum point to suck in the Flashlube
              Remove ore disconnect your vacuum advange system no need for that either.
              Set ignition on 6 degrees instead of 4 advance.
              The Impco is understanded as Ok but I dont think so cause it is expensive and complicated
              Every 100000 kms or five years you have to change a membrane in the evaporizer and that it.
              Same oil,same sparkplugs,same cooling ,better and smoother driving,less momey here itcosts 50 Eurocents alitre, Stude is going 5,5 km/ltr so thats 9 cts a km.
              If there is more interest I shoot pictures after holiday,thanks
              dick Waterreus

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hawk gt 62 rhd

Hey ,thought I was the only one but apperently not.
                Lpg on a289 is allright it is better if you use the valve protection system of Flash Lube,it works now for 50 k kms with minor as no valve timing in three years.
                Oil stays cleaner because of no coal contaminants seen no sludge too last time the oil pan was off.
                The four barrel Carteris somewhat changed: no choke system also no choke valves,but hand throttle.
                No preheating system whit valves and springs ect.
                Use the most upper vacuum point to suck in the Flashlube
                Remove ore disconnect your vacuum advange system no need for that either.
                Set ignition on 6 degrees instead of 4 advance.
                The Impco is understanded as Ok but I dont think so cause it is expensive and complicated
                Every 100000 kms or five years you have to change a membrane in the evaporizer and that it.
                Same oil,same sparkplugs,same cooling ,better and smoother driving,less momey here itcosts 50 Eurocents alitre, Stude is going 5,5 km/ltr so thats 9 cts a km.
                If there is more interest I shoot pictures after holiday,thanks
                dick Waterreus
                Thanks for the clarification. I had forgotten a lot about the installation. I do remember that the '64 GT had no choke. Starting cold only involved pressing the dash button for a few seconds which gave the carb a rich charge which worked just like choking on a gasoline car.
                As mentioned in another response, buying fuel in the US was a problem. Some places that sold propane were very reluctant to fill the tanks especially when I told them the tanks had to be vented when filling (per the instructions of the original owner). Of course propane was much more common in England. Service stations had both petrol and gas (LP) pumps. I remember that clearly because I was embarrassed when I pulled my rented Fiesta up to the gas pump rather than the petrol. The attendant immediuately knew he was dealing with a dumb American[:I].

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                X