Can ya put A/C on an Avanti R2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can ya put A/C on an Avanti R2?

According to the specs, A/C wasn't an option with the Supercharger. But I live down south and am too old to do without A/C for too long. My battery has already been relocated to the trunk, so it looks like there's some room up front. I guess one would need a compressor, brackets, pullies, controls and a console with A/C vents among other things. Thanks!
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Peter Sant 'KOOL R2' has a very clean a/c installation on his car. Do a search there may be a thread with pictures. Not a bolt on but it can be done.

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Comment

Check Bob Johnston's page. I think that my article and installation is shown.

Peter Sant
      KOOL R2

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KOOL R2

Check Bob Johnston's page. I think that my article and installation is shown.
        Also, SDCer Chuck Lampman wrote an article for the AOAI magazine some years ago about the a/c installation in his R-2. His approach may be a little more complicated than Peter's. I have a scan of the article which I can email to you if you would like.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I've seen some creative engineering with a Sanden compressor under the supercharger. They both used the dual belts and the compressor was used to tension the belts. Without seeing the hoses, you wouldn't know it had A/C.

Bob Johnstone
          www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
          55 President State Sedan
          70 Avanti (R3)
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Bob, any pics?

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
            Jim
            Often in error, never in doubt
            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mike Myers at Myers Studebaker has done this before. The Supercharger goes where older York compressor was located, then the surge tank is removed and a Sanden style cylinder compressor is installed about where the surge tank is located.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Working...
              X