Electric Cooling Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Cooling Fans

If you want to really say Good Bye to some coolong problems, here is something you might want to do.
    I installed (2)ProForm High-Output,1250 cfms, 12" cooling fans on our 63 Lark, that I got from Summit Racing for around $50. each and hooked them up with a thermo switch, and I was really impressed how well our car did with these during a recent 4th of July Parade. All during the parade,the car just barely got up to operating temperature. I would very much recommend this to anyone who is having cooling problems. These High-Output fans really keep your engine temperature where it needs to be.

Are you running these fans with the water pump fan or are they the only ones on the car?

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

Are they sucking or blowing, In front of or behind the radiator.

Bill Bow

1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Do you have a shroud? How about a few pictures of how then are mounted.??Thanks.

Comment

Here's a shot of the same type fans on my 54K for reference.

12"/1250CFM mounted in front of an 1989 Corvette radiator. Will cool all day at idle.

Bob

Comment

I've used a single Dodge Viper two-speed fan and where it'll fit, it'll cool. The Viper has 500hp in a smaller space than any Stude and Mopar warrantied it, so that's why I chose it over an aftermarket fan.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

There's no need to have a water pump fan with an electric, it impeads airflow. Above 30mph ya don't need a fan as there is enough ram air to cool and a thermostically controlled fan will shut off. Pump fan typically takes a few horses to pull as well. All this if you're not concerned about authenticity. Just an opinion and my experience.
              Kim

Comment

quote:Above 30mph ya don't need a fan as there is enough ram air to cool
                Yes, some cars don't need a fan at highway speeds.
                No, it's not true for all cars. I've seen some, such as my C-cab V8 truck, which run hotter at highway speeds without an engine-driven fan.
                Maybe, individual owners need to test to determine which works for them.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

FWIW.....don't forget, depending on what size and/or quanity of fans you install, they can draw anywhere from 7 amps up to 22 amps. Your standard Delco/Autolite generator produces a MAXIMUM of 27-33 amps and that's NOT at engine idle speed. The standard factory Prestolite alternator only produces a maximum of 35 amps and the Jet Thrust version makes only 40, again not at engine idle speed. It's very easy to over-work one of those (i.e. burn it up) with extended electric fan operation with the engine at low RPM. Consider upgrading the gen/alt. to a higher amp output version, such as a one-wire Delco alt or a Mopar unit. Just food for thought. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                  Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                  Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

My 54 has a transplanted Chev 250 in it and there is no room to run a waterpump fan. It has been working fine except in hot weather so I now have two twelve inchers inside agains the radiator and now hen it is in the 90s I can drive it around town.

My 61 V8 Tcab would over heat in traffic so I installed a 14 inch fan infront of the radiator and used a manual switch.

My 64 also would get warm in traffic so I installed a flex fan three row radiator core and an 14 inch electric out front.

I hate thermal switches for after market fans as theyt are just something to go wrong.

You have to be picky which electrics you use as some of them have a shroud that blocks air flow.

I have to agree about the alternator though but Delco has numerous alternators to chose from and I have had Prestolites delta wired to get more juice to. Corvetts used to run 205 and 250 amp Delcos and these units are expensive but the 95 amp ones are not and 95 amps is enough to run plenty of accessories but it does take a bit of rewiring in heavy gage wire.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    61 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    63 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    45 Agricat
                    67 Triumph T100
                    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I did in fact covert my 57 Broadmoor to a single wire alt. when I added a/c and electric fan. Also used a Sanden 508 and made for an efficient system in town and on the road. I used the wagon in my business and probably put over 200k on it. So. yes charging system would need to be upgraded. Radiator is a factor as well and the ability hold a higher pressure cap with an expansion tank.
                      Forgive my street rod background.
                      Thanks for letting me share,
                      Kim

Comment

Roadracelark's description of too much amp draw makes a lot of sense. I burnt out the generator on a pizza delivery car running two 12v x 100 watt light bulbs for the roof light. But it was bright while it lasted! I put a flasher unit in line and it stopped eating generators. It was still bright and the flasher drew more attention. It would probably work for fans but they would sound like a Spitfire running out of fuel .
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

No, Jamie, I completely eliminated the metal water pump fan, and it works just great
                          quote:Originally posted by starliner62

Are you running these fans with the water pump fan or are they the only ones on the car?

Jamie McLeod
                          Hope Mills, NC

Comment

Bill..They are mounted inside the radiater and are pulling air in. Waydon
                            quote:Originally posted by bowhawk

Are they sucking or blowing, In front of or behind the radiator.

Bill Bow

1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                            X