steering column and turn signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering column and turn signal

I took apart the steering column and turn signal switch on my 55 champion. As I did so I took pictures of everything because I didn't want to come on this site asking for help. Wouldn't you know that I didn't take pictures of one thing. Where do that little steel ball bearing and spring go?

They go in the collar to depress the shifter detent.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks. but that might as well be Greek. Which part is the collar and what is the shift detent. Could you describe a little more. Thanks again.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by robtc

Thanks. but that might as well be Greek. Which part is the collar and what is the shift detent. Could you describe a little more. Thanks again.
        Not familiar with Automotive terms eh? That's OK, I can explain it a different way. I think maybe Brad means the 1 1/2 in. thick "Collar" which is the first "ring" below the steering wheel, it could have the Automatic Trans. Detents (shift position lock points, divots) on it if, the car is so equipped, the ball and spring is what hold the shift lever in each gear, not applicable on Manual Trans. cars.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

And I believe the spring fits into the lower collar, which is the cone shaped housing the shift lever fits into. Should be a cavity for it. Ball sits on top of the spring and clicks across the bumps in the surface of the "other" collar that Rich refers to. Put a glob of thick grease on the ball to hold it in place on top of the spring as you assemble things or it will keep falling out.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

yes, that's exactly right. Kind of a PITA to install the turn signal switch housing on the column without dislodging that ball. A while back I had one of our vendors make me a spring for that assembly as mine had gone missing, it seems slightly optional, but I liked the nice crisp feel of having it in there. I believe '55 was the last year for the ball and spring.

The trick is, take the square headed bolts and assemble them into the turn signal housing with only one or two threads of the nuts engaged, then set the turn signal housing in place (straight on!) and then tighten the nuts with a nut driver. They should catch the slots in the jacket. That probably sounds really cryptic but when you're sitting behind where the wheel should be looking at all the parts, it should make sense.

of course, after I got my automatic column working 100% perfectly, I then decided to convert my car to a 4-speed...

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

just wanted to say, "thanks." Everything is back together and working.

Comment

Working...
              X