Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starlightchamp
    replied
    Regards the light bulb. You will need to get at your local NAPA or other parts store
    a bulb socket. This socket has spring fingers around the circumference to snap into the hole.
    Don't forget to fuse the clock. I use a two amp slo-blo.
    ....Dick

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Hi Harry
    The big hole on the side is where the light bulb slides into. just a reminder the clock installs in the dash in the middle of the speedometer , there is a plastic cone that you need to remove and the clock fits into that spot. I believe if you look from underneath you can see a couple of screws,
    Blake

Leave a comment:

• elerslie
    replied
    Hey guys

Ok - I got the clock and thanks to you I have an idea how to get the juice to it. What I cant figure out is what goes where and what the heck that big hole on the side is:

Harry

Leave a comment:

• Wilber Kaylor
    replied
    Hi Harry
    The clock pictured is correct for the '50. The clock power could be drawn from any always hot source although to be correct you should consult the manual.

I have redone several clocks with quartz movements (one in my '50 Starlight), cheap Walmart units. Their disadvantage is not being able to easily adjust the time. Usually only a task twice a year. Radio Shack has remote AA size battery holders which can be mounted anywhere for convenience. Cost each was less than $10. Tried having the first clock repaired, the works pivot in a brass plate and the holes wear egg shaped and were "punched" and then reamed to spec's, thinning the brass and wearing faster. (Less than a year)

Wilber

Leave a comment:

• maxpower1954
    replied
    And a very important item - ALWAYS disconnect the battery when you are doing under the dash work (or any electrical work, for that matter.) Russ Farris

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Hi Harry
    Congratulations on obtaining the clock it is a great accessory and will defiantly add a nice touch to your dash as stated by the other members. OK Let's see , looking at the schematic for the 1950 Champion and Commander (through a magnifying glass , ( as it is quite small ) it looks like the wire that will feed the clock is a # 16 red wire which shows a 3 amp inline fuse coming from the headlight switch. The wire that feeds the light bulb in the clock is a # 16 black wire and it comes from the instrument panel and map light switch. You should probably look into getting a shop manual ( and a magnifying glass )so you can see for yourself. As there are a lot of wires under your dash and hard to say what shape they are in , so you should be extra careful when handling them , especially if it is the original wiring .
    good luck , Blake

Leave a comment:

• elerslie
    replied
    Hey guys - I bought a clock for the 1950 Champion.

Would appreciate advice on how to install. Where do I bring the juice in from. I notice a wire behind the dash that is not attached. Is that the accesory?

Harry

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Yes , that is what the clock looks like for a 1950 champion
    Blake

Leave a comment:

• elerslie
    replied
    Does this look like the right one for a 1950 Champion?

Harry

Leave a comment:

• ivorydan
    replied
    Get the clock. I agree it improves the dash alot, being right in the middle of things, and looking cute. Just disconnect the battery cable when the car isn't used. You should do that anyway. Dan

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Years ago I refitted the Borg clock in my 67 LeMans with a quartz movement from JC Whipme. It was super easy and only cost me $30. If you're going to go that way, you might check them out first!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by rockne10

There is no issue if the car is used often enough to keep the battery charged. The problem occurs when the battery dies, the points in the clock close and don't reopen. Stagnant air invites oxidation and other crap. Before you know it, the clock won't work unless you take it apart and clean/lubricate it.

Those clocks are awfully pricey but they certainly add the finishing touch to the dash. Another instance of use it or lose it.
    OR, just drop another $100.00 or less and have a low-Amp draw Quartz movement installed in an Original Clock and forget all of the above problems! [^]

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    There is no issue if the car is used often enough to keep the battery charged. The problem occurs when the battery dies, the points in the clock close and don't reopen. Stagnant air invites oxidation and other crap. Before you know it, the clock won't work unless you take it apart and clean/lubricate it.

Those clocks are awfully pricey but they certainly add the finishing touch to the dash. Another instance of use it or lose it.

Leave a comment:

• starlightchamp
    replied
    I put one in my 50 Starlight. Spent over a year looking for it on Ebay and paid near $300 .
    I hated the cheap looking plastic delete cover where the clock installs. Really makes the dash look much nicer. There are no problems with 50's clocks except they must occasionally be cleaned and oiled. Easy to do with the clock removed. I suggest putting a slide switch
    in the 6 volt line so the clock can easily be turned off if the car is not going to be driven regularly.
    ....Dick Curtis

Leave a comment:

• elerslie
    started a topic Clock - to be or not to be?

Clock - to be or not to be?

My 50 Champion does not have one but been thinking about snatching a NOS. ($$$!)

Opinions please: worth it? I have seen posts that mention some problems and dont need any more headaches.

Sound off please

Harry
Working...
X