Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Engine information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine information

I have a 1961 studebaker lark name plate says 61S-J6 887. The engine in the car though is a V-8. Which according to the name plate should be a v-6. The engine number on the is PI2038 with a stromberg carb model ww 6-127. Also has a delco remy distributor 1110839 4m7. I was wondering if any one can give me more information about the engine since i dont think it is original by everything i have seen or read in online and in print. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

While I don't know the numbering system...there was and is no Studebaker V-6's..!
    At least not on purpose.

Mike

Comment

I just looked in the door and the serial number on the door said 61S-I6009

Comment

61S J6

...is the body tag. The serial number plate is on the driver's side A pillar.

61S= 1961 six cylinder
        J=2 door hardtop
        6=trim level
        887=sequence in which the body was welded up (887th body made...no relation to the serial number of the car)

The car was originally a 6 cylinder (straight 6...Studebaker did not make a V6)

V8 engine numbers are here...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

Yours looks to be a 289 out of a '55 President.

It most likely has a V8 transmission also.

Check the brakes and rear end. If they are still 6 cylinder items, you should upgrade to V8 items.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

your right i meant a inline 6. i am trying to help out my dad with this. Also looking for a replacement distributor for the car any suggestions?

Comment

thank you for the information dick steinkamp.

Comment

Dick S. - I am sure that you know that there is no such thing as "a 289 out of a '55 President." I didn't look the number up, but it is probably a 259 out of a 1955 (I don't know how you would know if it was a President or late Commander.) or it is a later 289.

monte nc - what you post as an "I" in the engine number represents a 1 (one).

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Dick S. - I am sure that you know that there is no such thing as "a 289 out of a '55 President." I didn't look the number up, but it is probably a 259 out of a 1955 (I don't know how you would know if it was a President or late Commander.) or it is a later 289.

Whoops...Yes, '55 was the only year that the P prefix indicated a 259...my bad. For all other years, the P prefix meant 289.

If it was a 259 Commander, it would have a V prefix.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

if it has a Delco dist. you might just want to have that one rebuilt rather than replace it. They are supposedly more durable than the later Prestolites.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Whoops...Yes, '55 was the only year that the P prefix indicated a 259...my bad. For all other years, the P prefix meant 289.

If it was a 259 Commander, it would have a V prefix.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Yes, Dick, now I guess that we are even <G>. I wasn't thinking that Studebaker used the V for both the 224 and the Commander 259 in 1955.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I did'nt think any 55 Commanders ever used the 259,but only the 224.the 259 only applied to the President.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monte_nc

Also looking for a replacement distributor for the car any suggestions?
                        Many of us have replaced these with new electronic distributors, available from many of our great SDC vendors.
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The 259's were used in the 1955 Commanders as I rebuilt one a couple of years ago. Bud

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

I did'nt think any 55 Commanders ever used the 259,but only the 224.the 259 only applied to the President.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                            Early 1955 Commanders used the 224. Mid-year a change was made that made 259s standard in 1955 Commanders. (1955 Presidents had 259s throughout the model year.)

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I was looking at a 55' Speedster a while back and the engine Ser. # began with PC. The engine looked to be the original in that it had the 4 bolt valve covers, top mounted oil filter, engine color was a dark green I think and the overall patina suggested it might be the original. My question is, did they make any Speedsters or Speedster engines in Canada or was I just looking at a non-original engine such as a Canadian 289 (PC)?

Dean Croft
                              Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
                              Dean

CLEM

Comment

Working...
                              X