Learning to work on Studebakers, or any old car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:
    Its unfortunate, but this forum isn't organized so you can lay it open on your fender and go to work. I agree with the book concept, but for one person (or a group) to set it up, they would have to have someone there asking one question after another. Which is what we have here. Probably ought to check with Mr. Shaw about permission to excerpt and print in print media.
    Then, scour the forum, gather all questions together with all pertinent answers, build an index and find a publisher.
    This is an area I am all too familiar with. The art of referencing somebody elses work is something I have been doing for literally every science research paper assignment since attending college(and a little bit of high school) since Day 1. It has to be performed in the event the author or the school of the original work looks over my work, and says "hey, that's not his research!!", which could land me in a level of trouble that can have a man removed from the campus. So, I have to cite or reference every piece of research that is not mine, which, even though at most times is alot, is the honorable thing to do. Plus it allows me to say, "Yes, I know the work is not mine, but I did give the author credit, and it's right there". Before I go to much further, I usually use APA for Science research, MLA if it's English research or an English paper, and Chicago style if it's historical research. In this case I would probably suggest using APA style, and locating a book that contains all of the rules for using citations using APA style. In the past I've used a couple of books, but the current one I use is the Fifth Edition Publication Manual, which is authored by the American Psychological Association. Within the book contains the rules for grammar, as well as all of the citations and reference citations that can be used from books, magazines, electronic media, the Internet(including sites such as this one), audiotapes, interviews, and what have you. Usually I cite them in the paper and then put a reference page at the bottom of the document or at the back of the paper for APA citations.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I too was into VW's. I knew absolutely nothing about them. I also bought John Muir's idiot book. That was the single best repair book I have ever used. In no time I knew VW's inside and out. The VW's are long gone, but I still have the idiot book. I read it from time to time for entertainment. Maybe some day I'll get a Beetle again.

66 Commander R1 Clone
      51 Commander 4dr
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

OK, start the Twilight Zone theme; in the trunk of the Lark I just acquired were a set of ................ VW Bug running boards.

Its a sign. (of what I'm not sure, but its a sign)

Its not the years in your life that matters, its the life in your years.

Comment

Wow I just Love my VW Book I bought a 1969 Vw Squareback on July 10, 1977 it was the first car that I bought with my hard earned money. My Dad bought me the book and said here you go you wanted a VW now learn how it works. He was a Chevy engine rebuilder. He introduced me to German Auto Repair. They answered alot of my questions. It was up to me to repair that car. I only sole it 5 years ago. Bought it for 850. sold it for 1200. Amazing still miss that car.

Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

I had a copy of the 'Compleat Idiot's Guide to VW's' as well ca. 1980------------definitely entertaining.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Just a reminiscence, but the 'first' of every single auto repair I learned to do was on my current Studebaker. Oil changes, distributor, spark plugs, brakes, upholstery..... everything. And all of it at my father's side. Oh, such memories. I am a very lucky guy.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Our '65 Bug is long gone, but I can't toss the book. It's far too entertaining.

One correction - The illustrations are by Peter Aschwanden. His style is similar to that of R. Crumb, but a bit less scratchy, and many less lady parts.[:0]

Andy
                62 GT

Andy
                62 GT

Comment

Yeah, I saw that when I looked at my copy again, Andy. At least you're cool enough to know who R. Crumb was! Russ Farris
                  1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                  1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

I read all sorts of magazines about fixin' stuff.
                    But I found that it is the most fun to work on a Studebaker when you have a skilled techical helper......
                    Sooooo many questions to ask about stuff 'down there'..
                    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                    X