Spark plugs - what type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plugs - what type?

I went to the local parts house (Advanced Auto) for some new plugs for the 62 Hawk. I asked for Champion H-14-Y, but they didn't have them... nor could they cross match them to anything else!!

Used the search feature of this forum and got no ideas for alternatives.

What would be the appropriate plug type in another brand such as Autolite, Bosch, NGK, etc.??

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

I had the same problem at Carquest. The manufacturer has changed the numbers and it has made it more difficult. Fortunately they were good enough to track it down and get the new number. I would say try a place with and old school counter pro that knows the loop.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

Is there any possibility you misread the lettering? Champion does have a N-14-Y. Here's a spark plug X-ref chart I found on Bob Johnstone's web site.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...plugrange.html

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

John; the "J", "H" or "N" refers to the plug REACH, an H is a 7/16" reach, I have never heard of an "N", but it was never used in a Studebaker. I see in Bob's chart it is 3/4" Reach, way too deep into the combustion chamber, and could hit the Piston.

The 14 is (or WAS in 1964) the proper HEAT RANGE for a non-Supercharged Studebaker for Street use.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm going out for plugs this morning, after reading on the subject yesterday. Seems that the RH10C Champion is recommended for regular 259/289 applications and RH18Y for R1 and R2.

Others were using Autolite 8585, NGK 3332 XR5, and Bosch WR9 FC

The car has RJ 12C 's presently which has a 3/8" reach.

Good luck.

Bill Foy
          Kingston, Ontario
          1964 Wagonaire Slider
          Bill Foy
          1000 Islands, Ontario
          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

I did buy some Autolite 85's last night. I haven't pulled the old plugs yet to compare them together, (still awfully hot here with a heat index of 110F!!) but will do that and report back.

Comment

... And by the way, Champion H-14-Y is what the repair manual for a 1962 Hawk caled calls for.

Comment

Champion's "N" plugs were used in some Mopars...small blocks if I remember. They have something like a 3/4" reach.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I found this helpful.

http://www.ntbp.com/sparkplug/techtype.htm

What I didn't find helpful is the fact that of all the variations of the appropraite plugs for my Wagonaire I could only find one plug in the whole city, population 112,000.

At this rate it's gon'a take a while to tune this puppy up.

Bill Foy
                  Kingston, Ontario
                  1964 Wagonaire Slider
                  Bill Foy
                  1000 Islands, Ontario
                  1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

R-1 motors take a Champion J12Y

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

John; the "J", "H" or "N" refers to the plug REACH, an H is a 7/16" reach, I have never heard of an "N", but it was never used in a Studebaker. I see in Bob's chart it is 3/4" Reach, way too deep into the combustion chamber, and could hit the Piston.

The 14 is (or WAS in 1964) the proper HEAT RANGE for a non-Supercharged Studebaker for Street use.

StudeRich
                      Rich, I hate to have to tell you this, but a N reach spark plug *was* used on a Studebaker... when equipped with a Packard engine

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Stock 259 and 289 engines use a Champion RH18Y new number 857 or H14Y number 91. The Autolite number is 437 or 216. These are the numbers from the new Champion and Autolite catalogues. These plugs are readily available at most NAPA stores or though several Stude parts vendors. The Champion 857 or Autolite 437 are the plugs recommended for Stude V8'S with the exception of the 56 Golden Hawks and the R series engines. Bud

Comment

From a 1959 Champion Spark Plug chart:

1951 thru 1957 V8 (except Goldenhawk).... H-11 or H-18Y
                          1956 Goldenhawk.... N-16Y or N-18
                          1957 Goldenhawk.... H-10
                          1958 thru 1959 V8..... H-18Y

and for you six fans:

1941 thru 1955 Champion.....J-8
                          1956 thru 1959 6-cyl. including Larks....J-7
                          1942 thru 1950 (except Champion)...J-8

I believe you can find J-8's and H-10's at Walmart in the lawn mower department.

Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
                          1961 Lark Crusier
                          1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                          Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bud

Stock 259 and 289 engines use a Champion RH18Y new number 857 or H14Y number 91. The Autolite number is 437 or 216. These are the numbers from the new Champion and Autolite catalogues. These plugs are readily available at most NAPA stores or though several Stude parts vendors. The Champion 857 or Autolite 437 are the plugs recommended for Stude V8'S with the exception of the 56 Golden Hawks and the R series engines. Bud
                            I even used Autolite 437s in a R-2 Avanti- ran better with less trouble than the recommended Champions. My '53 called for H-10s, but it seems just as happy with Autolite 437s. My CarQuest dealer gets them for me next day from the warehouse.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

the 437 is a more modern projected nose type plug than a H10, the 437 is more comparable to an H14Y. I would not use a non-projected-nose plug in an OHV engine without trying the modern, projected-nose plugs first - I bet in 99% of cases the projected nose plug will work better.

the reason they weren't recommended for a '53 is that they weren't available yet

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                              X