Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to install oil pressure safety switch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jallen
    replied
    Walt, for your 12 Volt power supply you might be able to come off the HOT side of your starter solenoid. Your instructions for your pump should give power requirements and maybe even suggestions for where and how to hook up. I can't think of a good reason to use the
    coil lead for your power supply.

Leave a comment:

• jallen
    replied
    Hi Walt, you should find the SENDER for the oil pressure gauge on the passenger side of the block below and behind the intake manifold.
    Its fairly easy to install a brass T which will allow you to retain
    your gauge sending unit and still have an oil pressure port to plumb in your oil pressure safety switch, which you could mount on the firewall. As far as needing a pump, if thats the case you will want to locate it as close to the tank as possible. You might want to
    troubleshoot your fuel starvation issue before trying something that
    may or may not help. I would start by making sure the tank and supply lines are not causing your problem. Good luck, keep posting.

Leave a comment:

• Waltb
    started a topic Where to install oil pressure safety switch.

Where to install oil pressure safety switch.

1962 Hawk 289

I want to install an oil pressure safety switch for an electronic fuel pump.

I don't think it would be attactive to install it in the line to the oil filter, near the water pump. I don't know where the oil line to the dash oil pressure guage is. Any help is appreciated.

I am replacing an electic fuel pump and want it safer than what the previous owner had. Also, he did not have a regulator. Will I need one for a Facet-Purolator Posi-Flo pump, FEP06SV 4.0-7.0 PSI, 32 GPH?

I'm replacing the pump because my mechanic said I needed it. The car seems to be starved for gas at higher speed (40 mph), but only sometimes. I've rebuilt the Stomberg www and the trouble started. If it ain't broke... (I wanted to fix a gasket leak). I've since cleaned it 3 more times, and was careful to set the float to specs.

The power for the currently installed fuel pump comes from the accessory power. I want to change it to power from the ignition coil. But I'm concerned that I may have problems if the power to the ignition coil is fed through a resistor, perhaps a "resistor wire." Is this a problem? The pump may draw several amps (4?) and there would be a voltage drop across the resistor. This may be a problem for the pump, and the ignition coil. How about the ignition coil fuse. Is there a fuse in the coil supply?

I've checked the shop manual for this, without help.

Your wise advice is appreciated.

Walt B

Working...
X