Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to install oil pressure safety switch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by redcreeper

Here is what I thought of. hook the electric fuel pump up to the ignition switch in the normal start position thus by turning the key to the right for a few seconds to prime the system. then turn the key to acc. on the left to ignite the coil and allow the engine to start.
    Red; I guess there is a downside to every plan, but if you wire it to only run the pump while holding the switch to start position, then if you need to turn it on while driving because of vapor lock or other lack of fuel issues I don't think you could.
    And how do you crank the engine to start? Do you disconnect the start wire from the start terminal and use a push button starter switch?
    Because if you leave it connected, switching from Ign./Start over to Acc. to run will pass OFF and kill the engine!
    It would be a lot simpler to just "buy" (opps there's that dirty word!) a momentary ON toggle switch for the fuel pump and simplify the whole thing. [:0]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The Holley fuel pressure switch is about $30 and you can run a "T" off of the stock port and install it AND the guage line. I've done this on a couple of Studebaker V8s over the years.

The switch is "on" when cranking, so there is no need for a separate switch for the pump--you just wire it through the starter solenoid. Once the engine is running the pump will work only if there is enough oil pressure.

This is the way to go . . .

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

The Holley fuel pressure switch is about $30 and you can run a "T" off of the stock port and install it AND the guage line. I've done this on a couple of Studebaker V8s over the years.

The switch is "on" when cranking, so there is no need for a separate switch for the pump--you just wire it through the starter solenoid. Once the engine is running the pump will work only if there is enough oil pressure.

This is the way to go . . .

Agreed. Thanks for confirming my decision. I picked up a NAPA-Echlin three terminal Oil Pressure Sw for $12. Napa number OP6610. A regular three terminal headlight socket, or spade lugs will make the electrical connection. The thread is 1/8 x 27. I'll wire it to the ignition or a hot wire, the pump, and the starter solenoid.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Walt B

Comment

Working...
        X