Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lotsa T-cab questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lotsa T-cab questions

    Hi all, I am budgeting some stuff on the 64 1/2 ton T-cab I just bought and need some info please. Do these trucks use the same 195/75-15 tires as a current replacement the cars do? I know it needs one and I expect all 4 before we attempt to drive it home. It has no spare, Does it use the same wheel as the cars? Where can I find a cab corner? I thought I saw them listed recently but I cant find them now. Does anyone have a chart that shows the lube points on it they could somehow share with me? I will buy manuals for it when I get it home and recover financially from that endeavor. Thanks,Steve
    sigpic

  • #2
    Depends on the wheels, mine has 16" wheels. Find out what size tires it has now and we can give you a better answer, you can also check this table to find a modern size equivalent to what the truck has if it his really old tires on it.

    http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/...sion_chart.htm

    Buying new tires before you drive it home is very smart, I made that mistake once and the drive home was quite a bit more interesting than it should have been! (two flats on a 100 mile drive).

    Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net
    Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

    Comment


    • #3
      Does not use the same wheels as cars, different bolt pattern.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks, I will ask if they are 15 or 16" when I talk to him again. Thanks,Steve
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          The bolt pattern is the same as late 60's early 70's Cadillacs, Buick Electra 225's & Olds 98's. I believe its a 5" pattern, providing its a 5 lug bolt pattern. My truck originally had the 16" wheels with the skinny truck tires but steers alot easier with the wide 15" radials that are on it now. Thats not saying its easy to steer when your parking! Thats why I am going to attempt a power steering conversion on it. Now your 64 has the steering setup that can accept a modified Hawk power steering unit that Dave T-bow sells. After your finances recover you might test your strength & decide that may be the way to go or not.

          60 Lark convertible
          61 Champ
          62 Daytona convertible
          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2)
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

          Comment


          • #6
            quote:Originally posted by wolfie

            Hi all, I am budgeting some stuff on the 64 1/2 ton T-cab I just bought and need some info please. Do these trucks use the same 195/75-15 tires as a current replacement the cars do? I know it needs one and I expect all 4 before we attempt to drive it home. It has no spare, Does it use the same wheel as the cars? Where can I find a cab corner? I thought I saw them listed recently but I cant find them now. Does anyone have a chart that shows the lube points on it they could somehow share with me? I will buy manuals for it when I get it home and recover financially from that endeavor. Thanks,Steve
            You most likely won't find P195x75x15 tires, but in my opinion they are way too small for a truck anyhow. Your truck rims are wider than Lark rims (can't remember how much though) so you can easily go to P215x75x15s. They will be much closer in diameter to the original size (6.70x15).
            BTW, you made one heck of a buy especially considering the extra apparently running 289 and the topper which could actually be an original Studebaker Conestoga topper (can't tell from the pix). It's also a deluxe cab (chrome grille and sliding rear window). It also looks as if it may have the correct radio which is pretty rare too. Those bed floors are very weak and are usually really beat up. That truck doesn't appear to have seen abuse. '64s have much better brakes than 7E and earlier models. The steering wheel may be from a Lark (the trucks didn't have horn rings) and the door panels are probably Lark as the 8E models had kind of ugly pink panels- certainly not problems- I put '61 Cruiser red and black panels in my '64 Champ. Only real downsides I see are (1) the tranny is probably a stump puller and the gearing is going to be really low and (2) the 8E steering system, IMHO, is really Mickey Mouse and poorly designed.




            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

            Comment


            • #7
              I have 235 75R's on the front of my 7E7 Champ.
              They might be a tad large but never had any problem with tire rub etc.
              The stock rims 15" x6 inch. 5 on 5 bolt pattern

              Other makes rims may or may not fit the unique brake drums as there is a ridge that may prevent more common brand x rims from sitting square on drum.
              Certain full size GM van wheels from 80's/90's will fit the unique drum.


              3E38
              4E2
              4E28
              5E13
              7E7
              8E7
              8E12
              8E28

              59 Lark
              etc

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks guys,I have e-mailed the seller a few more questions including the wheel questions and should hear back soon. If they are working for you and fit my wheels I will use the 235/75s. I wont be towing anything heavy with this truck and intend to change the gearing when I get it home but its going to be a bummer for the drive home. I had planned to just change the rear end gear. Will I likely need a trans change also for a decent driver/cruiser? I will hit a junkyard near the truck for GM van wheels and see what they have. How can I identify the ones I need? Thanks,Steve
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Steve:

                  If you think you might ever be hauling anything in it consider putting on LT rated tires. After all, it is a truck.

                  Dean Croft
                  Roseburg,OR

                  CLEM DESEE
                  Dean




                  CLEM

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    quote:Originally posted by wolfie

                    Thanks guys,I have e-mailed the seller a few more questions including the wheel questions and should hear back soon. If they are working for you and fit my wheels I will use the 235/75s. I wont be towing anything heavy with this truck and intend to change the gearing when I get it home but its going to be a bummer for the drive home. I had planned to just change the rear end gear. Will I likely need a trans change also for a decent driver/cruiser? I will hit a junkyard near the truck for GM van wheels and see what they have. How can I identify the ones I need? Thanks,Steve
                    These numbers are on the wheels
                    Hydramatic 15 x7 JJ T DOT H189 87 1B. On them I run 235x75R-15's with no problems.



                    3E38
                    4E2
                    4E28
                    5E13
                    7E7
                    8E7
                    8E12
                    8E28

                    59 Lark
                    etc

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

                      quote:Originally posted by wolfie

                      Thanks guys,I have e-mailed the seller a few more questions including the wheel questions and should hear back soon. If they are working for you and fit my wheels I will use the 235/75s. I wont be towing anything heavy with this truck and intend to change the gearing when I get it home but its going to be a bummer for the drive home. I had planned to just change the rear end gear. Will I likely need a trans change also for a decent driver/cruiser? I will hit a junkyard near the truck for GM van wheels and see what they have. How can I identify the ones I need? Thanks,Steve
                      Thanks, That makes like easier. Steve
                      These numbers are on the wheels
                      Hydramatic 15 x7 JJ T DOT H189 87 1B. On them I run 235x75R-15's with no problems.



                      3E38
                      4E2
                      4E28
                      5E13
                      7E7
                      8E7
                      8E12
                      8E28

                      59 Lark
                      etc

                      Thanks,That will make life easier. Steve
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My '63 1/2 ton wears 205-75-15's. It's still heavy to steer, even with a rebuilt steering box, new tie rod ends, drag link, etc, it's the nature of the beast.but I believe it to be as close to correct as any modern tire. As others have said, you'll have fit problems with many wheels, besides a ridge on the brake drum, the center hole is much larger than many cars.

                        On the cab corners, I don't know of any for a T-cab/ They exist for the C cab, though, maybe that's what you recall seeing.
                        Send me your email addy and I'll scan the lube chart for you.

                        Ron
                        rondame@bellsouth.net


                        quote:Originally posted by wolfie

                        Hi all, I am budgeting some stuff on the 64 1/2 ton T-cab I just bought and need some info please. Do these trucks use the same 195/75-15 tires as a current replacement the cars do? I know it needs one and I expect all 4 before we attempt to drive it home. It has no spare, Does it use the same wheel as the cars? Where can I find a cab corner? I thought I saw them listed recently but I cant find them now. Does anyone have a chart that shows the lube points on it they could somehow share with me? I will buy manuals for it when I get it home and recover financially from that endeavor. Thanks,Steve
                        Ron Dame
                        '63 Champ
                        Ron Dame
                        '63 Champ

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          quote:Originally posted by wolfie

                          If they are working for you and fit my wheels I will use the 235/75s.
                          It should be noted here that MOST are using P205X75R15 on 1/2 Tons.

                          I think you will find that the P215X75R15 which are already one size oversize, or if you really want FAT, the P225X75R15 will be more than adequate and steer easier than the 235's which are way overkill for the Truck, the Wheels and the geometry of the King Pin Suspension and the Steering system in the Truck. [:0]

                          StudeRich
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

                            My '63 1/2 ton wears 205-75-15's. It's still heavy to steer, even with a rebuilt steering box, new tie rod ends, drag link, etc, it's the nature of the beast.but I believe it to be as close to correct as any modern tire. As others have said, you'll have fit problems with many wheels, besides a ridge on the brake drum, the center hole is much larger than many cars.

                            On the cab corners, I don't know of any for a T-cab/ They exist for the C cab, though, maybe that's what you recall seeing.
                            Send me your email addy and I'll scan the lube chart for you.

                            Ron
                            rondame@bellsouth.net


                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ
                            [/quote]

                            Thanks Ron,E-mail sent. You must be right about the cab corners. I thought I saw them advertised recently in TW but now all I find is C-cab stuff. In standard farm truck fashion the seller says it has a mixture of tire sizes and some may be bias/some are definately radials but all are 15's. I plan to buy a complete set before I leave Kansas. From all I am reading it seems I have a good range of popular modern sizes that will work. Steve
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'll scan and email in the morning!

                              quote:Originally posted by wolfie

                              quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

                              My '63 1/2 ton wears 205-75-15's. It's still heavy to steer, even with a rebuilt steering box, new tie rod ends, drag link, etc, it's the nature of the beast.but I believe it to be as close to correct as any modern tire. As others have said, you'll have fit problems with many wheels, besides a ridge on the brake drum, the center hole is much larger than many cars.

                              On the cab corners, I don't know of any for a T-cab/ They exist for the C cab, though, maybe that's what you recall seeing.
                              Send me your email addy and I'll scan the lube chart for you.

                              Ron
                              rondame@bellsouth.net


                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ
                              Thanks Ron,E-mail sent. You must be right about the cab corners. I thought I saw them advertised recently in TW but now all I find is C-cab stuff. In standard farm truck fashion the seller says it has a mixture of tire sizes and some may be bias/some are definately radials but all are 15's. I plan to buy a complete set before I leave Kansas. From all I am reading it seems I have a good range of popular modern sizes that will work. Steve
                              [/quote]

                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ
                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X