Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elerslie
    replied
    Found it. Greased it. Fixed it. Sliding mercury - Studebaker - genius!

Harry

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    I have two different models of these cars with the trunk light that have the mercury switches. Rockne is correct, the trunk lights and even the back up lights only work when you have your light switch on. Back in the day...I suppose the engineers thought that if it was daylight...you didn't need either the trunk light or a backup light. Now, as you know, modern cars have the back up lights come on anytime the car is in reverse as an added safety feature to signal that the vehicle is about to back up.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    The mercury switch is just a tiny amount of mercury in a capsule behind the bulb socket. Mercury conducts electricity and moves in the capsule like the air bubble in a carpenter's level. When you open the trunk the mercury makes contact with the lead to the harness and battery negative, completing the circuit. Close the trunk and it flows to the bottom of the capsule cutting the circuit. There is very little to fail in the system unless the mounting angle prevents proper movement of the mercury.

As LH indicated, the circuit is only complete when your tailights are on.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Leave a comment:

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    If your trunk light is hooked up to the licence/tail lamp feed, it may or may not have a mercury switch. Your parking lamps or headlamps would have to be on for the trunk light to illuminate. If it does have a mercury switch, it is usually integral with the trunk light assembly... they usually look like a small metal pill. I personally have not experienced a failure with this type of switch.

LH

Leave a comment:

• elerslie
    started a topic Trunk Lite - 50 Champion

Trunk Lite - 50 Champion

OK - I give up. I understand there is a little mercury dohicky that tells when the trunk is open. Where is the blasted thing? I have looked all over for it and don't see it in the manuals. I found the light - its hooked to the back feed and the license plate light works. Its a mystery.

Harry
Working...
X