Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone had a DIY successful cracked dash repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChampTrucking
    replied
    THANKS for all replies.

Leave a comment:

• Colgate Studebaker
    replied
    I fixed the dash on my brothers Avanti using a Permatex kit. It was a pain to get in some tight spots and rolled edges, but overall it came out pretty good. I got the kit with the little iron in it and used up the paper texture pieces, so I bought a second kit just for additional papers. After fixing the cracks I painted/dyed the entire dash. The dash was out of the car which made it much easier to work on. Hope this helps you decide which way you want to go. B.V.

Leave a comment:

• 62SY4
    replied
    I know I am a CASO too, but if you have any friends or friends of friends who are car dealers check to see if they have somebody that comes and fixes dashes and arm rests. I had a friends 66 Electra dash fixed for under $100, Just dashes wanted $800.

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    When I did my '62 there wasn't a dash cap solution available, so I took an old, baked dash and shaved the biggest of the cracks down with a razor blade and then filled the craters with silicone and let it cure. Then I used contact cement to glue sheet vinyl right over top of the dash cap. It looked OK, although it lost some of the sharp detail on the molded ridges where it rolls over. This technique might yield even better results on a later dash where there's no molded-in detail.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Being in the body shop industry I have had many vinyl repairs done and have found generally they offer a good repair. One place was a port processor in Long Beach where we installed radios & speakers into vehicles after they were imported for the vehicle manufacturer. Upon doing so, occasionally something got damaged, be it a vinyl headliner or seat & I had a guy that came in & repaired it. It had to look invisible & we had to guarantee the work for a year. We never had a warranty claim on these, so I suggest calling a couple of shops or even the claims department of an insurance company & speak with an adjuster & ask for a referral.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    What year is your car? Matthew has some great pix of his results using the SI dash cap on his '63.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Leave a comment:

• anyone had a DIY successful cracked dash repair?

I have a dash I want to dye,but it has a few small cracks.There numerous web pages devoted to this problem and many professional fixes.I am looking for a do it yourself success story.Anyone??
Working...
X