X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

Opinions vary, but I prefer the brass shallow cup style.
    Yes the Brass core plugs are best for a permanent fix, however if yours is an early '62 you will not have the option of using CUP type, they will be the domed disc. type also available in brass from Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com and some Parts Stores. Either way, they are
    1 1/2 in. Brass X (6) Pcs.

If you have the early non-full flow block '62 you also can use the Copper and brass bolt-in Dorman type also available at the above sources, like Matt Burnette very recently mentioned using, here in his '58 Commander.

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• Laemmle
    replied
    I replaced my drain plugs with pet cocks........now very easy to drain block

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

The starter needs to be removed to get to the one on the drivers rear one. It is best to use an expansion plug installation tool. Opinions vary, but I prefer the brass shallow cup style. And the block drain plugs should be removed and replaced also. They rust out, as they are steel from the factory.

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

Leave a comment:

• fmarshall
    replied
    The starter needs to be removed to get to the one on the drivers rear one. It is best to use an expansion plug installation tool. Opinions vary, but I prefer the brass shallow cup style. And the block drain plugs should be removed and replaced also. They rust out, as they are steel from the factory.

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

Leave a comment:

• jd-stude
    replied
    There are three soft plugs on each side. They can be replaced with the motor in the car but it's not fun or easy.

Leave a comment:

• PeterHawk
    started a topic 289 soft plugs

289 soft plugs

How many soft (freeze) plugs are there in a 289 engine block in a 1962 GT Hawk with FOM? This is not a riddle. Can the soft plugs be removed and replaced without removing the engine?
Working...
X