General Restoration Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Restoration Questions

I have a 1950 Champion G9. It has 61,000 miles and I am the third owner. It has been painted but in most cases everything is original and the mechanics are perfect.

I am thinking about re chroming the bumpers as they have normal scratches and dings but it made me think of a broader question.

There seems to be two schools of thought:
    1. it is only original once.
    2. spiff it up and win some trophies.

I go to the shows and I see the "pretty babies". By contrast mine looks a little tired but original. For instance, it still has factory chalk marks on the firewall. Re painting under the hood would destroy that.

I am torn - please give me your opinions before I mess something up.

Many thanks,
    Harry

Harry

My personal opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, is to do whatever you want BUT if your car is as original as you indicate, just be careful when trying to "improve" anything. Yes, original paint is valuable to some people but if you really want to repaint, go for it. However if you choose to go down that road I would take lots of pictures of any chalk marks etc. before you start so that you can put them back just the way they were when done.

If you want to have the bumpers rechromed, blast/repaint the brackets, etc. I don't think that that would detract significantly from the value of the car. Just make sure you get them done by a GOOD chrome shop.

again, this is all just my opinion, and what really matters is, in order of importance, a) yours and b) whoever is going to buy your car eventually when you're done with it. everyone else's opinion is just that.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks very much! More opinions please.

BTW - you can see a good picture of the car by clicking on my user name and enlarging the photo.

Thanks

Harry

Comment

I happen to be from the drive the wheels off it school.

The one picture you show reveals a nice looking vehicle.

JMHO, but It looks capable of winning trophies as it sets. Upgrading bumpers and other bolt-on items will add to the overall estetics but probably not change the pile of trophies. That would probably require a substantial outlay of cash and then result in a vehicle that would be difficult to justify driving.

If it were mine, I'd add the touches to make me happy and drive the wheels off it. If you want a show winner it's your money/your choice.

Bob

Comment

If the rear looks anything like the front its your call but the front looks approiate to me. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Here's my swag...
            1) Make it mechanically superb.
            (brakes, wheel bearings, tune up, lubed, tires, etc)
            That will not change anything as far as originality or appearance.
            2) Spend a couple of years taking it to a few shows and brag about the 'original' part, and the orphan part...and your history part.
            3) Report back here, and tell us what people say and how you feel about it.
            Sounds like a fun Studebaker!
            Jeff[8D]

[size=1]
            quote:Originally posted by elerslie

I have a 1950 Champion G9. It has 61,000 miles and I am the third owner. It has been painted but in most cases everything is original and the mechanics are perfect.
            I am thinking about re chroming the bumpers as they have normal scratches and dings but it made me think of a broader question.
            There seems to be two schools of thought:
            1. it is only original once.
            2. spiff it up and win some trophies.
            I go to the shows and I see the "pretty babies". By contrast mine looks a little tired but original. For instance, it still has factory chalk marks on the firewall. Re painting under the hood would destroy that.
            I am torn - please give me your opinions before I mess something up.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If it has been repainted, re-chroming the bumpers cannot make it anymore non-original. It is your car. I have a car so nice, it cannot be driven and enjoyed. I'll never do that again.

Comment

This is your car. I echo what the posters above have said. Do with it what makes you happy. There will always be someone who is happy to criticize you for whatever you do or don't do; don't let criticism be your guide. If you like shiny bumpers and don't mind the cost of chroming, by all means have them chromed. If the patina of originality turns you on, preserve it. If you want to drag race, put 22" racing slicks on the back and a monster blower on the engine.

Just keep posting pictures.

Comment

That's a nice looking Champion!

I also enjoy having a car that I am not afraid to drive. That's just my opinion, though. My '60 Lark was repainted by the PO. He also had the bumpers rechromed (very well, I might add). The first few years I owned the car (about eight years ago), I worried about scratches and dings a lot. That's not so much the case anymore.

Make sure the brakes are in good working order.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Tom
                  1960 Lark VIII
                  1962 Lark Cruiser
                  Tom
                  1960 Lark VIII
                  1962 Lark Cruiser
                  1964 Cruiser

Comment

Harry, my opinion of original vs. anything else is pretty simple. And I have followed it to the letter on my car. Nothing has gone onto my car that was not Studebaker built and sold for my model car. New or old, re-done or not, if it was available on the factory line to build my car, I have no problem in replacing a bad part with it. That is for my purpose of having an original car.

As for YOUR car, decide what you want the end result to be in terms of original or modified or improved or whatever and stick to it.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I like Jeff's advice. I have a bunch of cars that are all cleaned up and a 51 Fiat that a friend told me he would not sit in unless he had a tetnus shot. The other cars get critisized over things like a paint runner in the trunk, yet they flock over the Fiat. It will make any car I park next to invisible. If it were mine, I'd safe it out with good brakes and drive it for a while.
                      Bill

http://www.rustyrestorations.org/coppermine/
                      http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
                      sigpic

Comment

BOY!...some folks are just too intense and serious about this car hobby!...then there are those who just clown around![)][)]
                        quote:Originally posted by clarkwd

I like Jeff's advice. I have a bunch of cars that are all cleaned up and a 51 Fiat that a friend told me he would not sit in unless he had a tetnus shot. The other cars get critisized over things like a paint runner in the trunk, yet they flock over the Fiat. It will make any car I park next to invisible. If it were mine, I'd safe it out with good brakes and drive it for a while.
                        Bill

http://www.rustyrestorations.org/coppermine/
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                        SDC member since 1975
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

This has been great guys. Thanks for all your feedback. I think I will just keep her and love her the way she is.

Happy motoring!

Harry

Comment

I also have a '50 Champion that is all original except for being repainted once in 1991. It has 68K original miles and I am the third owner. It has the original seats, head liner, door panels, spare tire, jack, service instructions on the inside of the glove box door, and dealer tag on the trunk. (To see some pics of it go to the "Members Studebaker Pictures" forum and scroll down to "Very original '50 Champion.) I've taken it to several car shows but have never won anything. Why? I think it's because if there isn't a category for "most original" then it can't compete with cars with new interiors and shiny paint jobs. It always draws a crowd and gets a lot of positive comments but if you leave it all original don't expect to win any trophies. Good luck with yours....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Every time I've taken my '33 to an AACA meet I've gotten an award in Preservation Class. SDC doesn't have a Preservation Division.

Fast forward to Lancaster '08. The only time I've had it judged by SDC.
                              Not a single point was deducted for authenticity. It lost points for seventy-five-year-old paint, chrome, upholstery and wire harness and still managed to come home with a third place in division. I was more than thrilled.

If it's nice weather, I still drive it to work, to Walmart, to the grocery store. The previous owner intended to restore it. I'm glad he didn't.

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10,
                              '51 Commander Starlight,
                              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X