Making a C cab into a extended cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a C cab into a extended cab

I started on a project of making a C cab into a extended cab. I'm going to add 28 inches on the back of a 1956 C cab. Has anyone done any thing like this. I would like discussing this with them and maybe get some pointers. Thank Ken

I haven't done it, but it sounds like a really cool idea, Ken! Go for it. Will you have a rear door?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Comment

I've never seen a C-cab extended cab except where the person added part of another cab. The top and/or sides usually look strange. Some forum members with experience will probably respond, but many are on their way to Cedar Rapids this week.
      I would like to add a few inches to one for more leg room, but do it so that the modification was so subtle that many people would not realize the cab was longer. It would be tricky because of the compound curves and might even involve stretching the doors a little. I don't have that kind of shop or money at this time. Good luck with your project and please post pictures if possible.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Wasn't there a pic posted a few weeks ago of one? I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a members, just a pic of one seen.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

While a am adding room to the back of the C cab I want to be shure it would be enougth so someone could sit there comfortably. I kind of thought every thing thrue but I'm no body man. Will keep posted Ken

Comment

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

quote:Originally posted by transtarken

I started on a project of making a C cab into a extended cab. I'm going to add 28 inches on the back of a 1956 C cab. Has anyone done any thing like this. I would like discussing this with them and maybe get some pointers. Thank Ken
              This is a diesel powered 3 door crew cab. I do not recall the exact year model. It belongs to my friend David Walker in Chesnee, SC. If I remember correctly, he displayed it with a sign that explained that there were only two of these built and this is one of the two. I took this picture at the Tri-State meet in Asheville, NC last year.

[img][/img]

John Clary
              Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I added 8 1/2" to my 49. I drove it to La Palma three years ago and was all cramped up. If I had it to do over, I would change two things. First, I would only have added about 4". Second, I would have left the cab intact and added the back of another; and THEN cut out the rear of the front part. The roof becomes extremely flimsy and unstable when you cut it. I had to build two curved frames to hold it in alignment. Want pics? Huh? Do ya? Really? Do ya?

Comment

All this here talk about adding length to a C-Cab, and this man hasn't come up yet....

My recommendation would be to get ahold of this man at the next meet(he will probably be in Cedar Rapids). He travels allll over the place, in particular the midwest with this fine beast. He will probably be able to tell you the finer details about adding extra room to a C-Cab.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                  [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                  [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

A ton of work in this one, but it illustrates what I said about some of the extended ones just not looking right. Too much going on with the different window shapes and the bulges down the rockers. It's just my opinion and others may love it. Is is an attention getter no doubt.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

YES, Absolutely, positively wish the C-cab had been designed a half-size larger for today's taller owners. I've been driving them for fifty years and always been cramped.

NO, the crew-cab or extended-cab isn't the answer I'm looking for. Perfect would be the same proportions, just larger in every direction. Although that red diesel is a beauty! Is he saying the crew cab was factory production? Also, I didn't remember later big trucks coming with the 5-bolt wheels.

MAYBE, some incredibly talented body man and an owner with deep pockets could add about four inches in every dimension, but not likely.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

An exercise in scissorshop.

I too find myself cramped up while driving, the "easiest" is to modify the floor board thus keeping the beloved dimensions of the cab itself.
                        IMHO if any length was added to the cab, the doors have to become part of the job to keep the cab in scale/appeal. But even then, if the doors become too long, (scissorshop) that starts looking awkward.

choice cuts with minimal additon in several areas, could get the right look, and added room, I'm waist deep in a project, and I'm not cutting up this one. Doner cab?, new Art M. frame? maybe[]

Now this is just a cab...extended. Not a true extension (extended cab)....for extra passengers. I realize that.

ChopStu

Edited for spelling of scissor, yes it bothered me all night.
                        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

YES, Absolutely, positively wish the C-cab had been designed a half-size larger for today's taller owners. I've been driving them for fifty years and always been cramped.

NO, the crew-cab or extended-cab isn't the answer I'm looking for. Perfect would be the same proportions, just larger in every direction. Although that red diesel is a beauty! Is he saying the crew cab was factory production? Also, I didn't remember later big trucks coming with the 5-bolt wheels.

MAYBE, some incredibly talented body man and an owner with deep pockets could add about four inches in every dimension, but not likely.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                          These trucks were built for Studebaker by a firm called Armbruster. There is a picture of one in the book, "A Studebaker Century" by Asa Hall and R. Langworth.
                          Theres a

3E38
                          4E2
                          4E28
                          5E13
                          7E7
                          8E7
                          8E12
                          8E28

59 Lark
                          etc

Comment

quote:Originally posted by transtarken

While a am adding room to the back of the C cab I want to be shure it would be enougth so someone could sit there comfortably. I kind of thought every thing thrue but I'm no body man. Will keep posted Ken
                            I guess a little clarification as to your intentions might help the discussion. Are you seeking to add space for driver and passenger comfort?...or...are you wanting to increase the passenger capacity? If you just want to add more comfort for a taller driver, I don't think you would need anywhere near 28 inches. However, if you want to add room for additional passengers...you could consider both traditional forward facing rear seats or "Fold Away" side ways jump seats like the ones in my 1987 Nissan king cab truck. Either way, I think additional length could be achieved tastefully by extending the back of the cab and not by modifying the doors.

John Clary
                            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                            SDC member since 1975
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I want to build a extended cab like that gray one on that trailer. I was glad to see how it would look. I think I will put the drip rail over the back window and mine is a 56, put sun shades over the door and side window. I have 5 C cabs to work with so I took 2 ratty ones to practice on. It looks to me that the gray one on the trailer has the side window lower than the front window witch does't look good. Tomorrow I headed for Cedar Rapids and may pick up somemore pointers Thanks Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X