Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jclary
    replied
    Now that I understand you really want a two seater...how about using two cabs back to back? Talk about a "Green House"...as long as you are going to have to lengthen the chassis anyway. Just make the curved windshield a back glass. The area where the two halves are joined could be the area you incorporate the roll bar and added support. The suicide doors would be a cinch since you are using the whole existing door and frame. Perhaps some of the creative computer geeks on the forum could attempt to do a "Photo-Shop" preview for you. That would be a great way to avoid some of those design disasters we have seen for sale on eBay.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• transtarken
    replied
    John I thought I would take the top rear 1/2 of right door and frame and put them on the front of the left door. I was going to make a suecide four door until I found the bulge on the bottom of the door was to hide the hing. I see the red 4 door has exposed hinges and I'm not that experenced of a bodyman. With making a mockup I can see if 28 inchs is enough.I have a 2000 Tundra with extended cab so I think 28 is ok. Ken

Leave a comment:

• Transtar60
    replied
    The truck on the trailer is a projection of what Mr Dickson wanted his project to sorta look like.

I believe he worked on it for several years and then sold/disposed of the project.

I think he was from eastern Nebraska.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by transtarken

I want to build a extended cab like that gray one on that trailer. I was glad to see how it would look. I think I will put the drip rail over the back window and mine is a 56, put sun shades over the door and side window. I have 5 C cabs to work with so I took 2 ratty ones to practice on. It looks to me that the gray one on the trailer has the side window lower than the front window witch does't look good. Tomorrow I headed for Cedar Rapids and may pick up somemore pointers Thanks Ken
    I scrolled back up and studied that truck a little more closely. I wonder if Armbruster or someone built that one as well. It looks like a solid build and seems to have been done as a work truck. With a little tweaking of the symmetry for the rear side windows...I think it would be a great project! Perhaps shape the window in the reverse of the front to carry the line without a vent window in the back glass. The windows in the truck on the trailer look to have been placed there for utility with little thought for aesthetics.
    While you are at it, you would also have an opportunity to install some structural integrity that could double as a roll bar and anchor point for modern 3 point safety belt system. Since its your money and not mine, I like the idea of using a rear seat that could fold up like the one in my Dodge four door truck. I am sure that the seat would have to be cut and sectioned so you could squeeze it into the dimensions of a C cab.

By the way...I think Armbruster made a bunch of those crew cabs, but only two were diesel powered.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• klifton1
    replied
    There areTwo Chevs that show up at some of the Hot Rod events that have been reduced to about 2/3 or so size. The 50s pickup is just beautiful. It's so close that you really don't notice it unless it's parked near a stocker. It's been sliced every way you can think of. The tops even been chopped above the doors to maintain the proper dims. It's out of Arkansas. The second one is a 39 two door, it's nice but not as detailed as the pickup.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    63 Avanti R2
    63 Lark R2

Leave a comment:

• transtarken
    replied
    I want to build a extended cab like that gray one on that trailer. I was glad to see how it would look. I think I will put the drip rail over the back window and mine is a 56, put sun shades over the door and side window. I have 5 C cabs to work with so I took 2 ratty ones to practice on. It looks to me that the gray one on the trailer has the side window lower than the front window witch does't look good. Tomorrow I headed for Cedar Rapids and may pick up somemore pointers Thanks Ken

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied

While a am adding room to the back of the C cab I want to be shure it would be enougth so someone could sit there comfortably. I kind of thought every thing thrue but I'm no body man. Will keep posted Ken
    I guess a little clarification as to your intentions might help the discussion. Are you seeking to add space for driver and passenger comfort?...or...are you wanting to increase the passenger capacity? If you just want to add more comfort for a taller driver, I don't think you would need anywhere near 28 inches. However, if you want to add room for additional passengers...you could consider both traditional forward facing rear seats or "Fold Away" side ways jump seats like the ones in my 1987 Nissan king cab truck. Either way, I think additional length could be achieved tastefully by extending the back of the cab and not by modifying the doors.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• Transtar60
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

YES, Absolutely, positively wish the C-cab had been designed a half-size larger for today's taller owners. I've been driving them for fifty years and always been cramped.

NO, the crew-cab or extended-cab isn't the answer I'm looking for. Perfect would be the same proportions, just larger in every direction. Although that red diesel is a beauty! Is he saying the crew cab was factory production? Also, I didn't remember later big trucks coming with the 5-bolt wheels.

MAYBE, some incredibly talented body man and an owner with deep pockets could add about four inches in every dimension, but not likely.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    These trucks were built for Studebaker by a firm called Armbruster. There is a picture of one in the book, "A Studebaker Century" by Asa Hall and R. Langworth.
    Theres a

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    An exercise in scissorshop.

I too find myself cramped up while driving, the "easiest" is to modify the floor board thus keeping the beloved dimensions of the cab itself.
    IMHO if any length was added to the cab, the doors have to become part of the job to keep the cab in scale/appeal. But even then, if the doors become too long, (scissorshop) that starts looking awkward.

choice cuts with minimal additon in several areas, could get the right look, and added room, I'm waist deep in a project, and I'm not cutting up this one. Doner cab?, new Art M. frame? maybe[]

Now this is just a cab...extended. Not a true extension (extended cab)....for extra passengers. I realize that.

ChopStu

Edited for spelling of scissor, yes it bothered me all night.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    YES, Absolutely, positively wish the C-cab had been designed a half-size larger for today's taller owners. I've been driving them for fifty years and always been cramped.

NO, the crew-cab or extended-cab isn't the answer I'm looking for. Perfect would be the same proportions, just larger in every direction. Although that red diesel is a beauty! Is he saying the crew cab was factory production? Also, I didn't remember later big trucks coming with the 5-bolt wheels.

MAYBE, some incredibly talented body man and an owner with deep pockets could add about four inches in every dimension, but not likely.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    A ton of work in this one, but it illustrates what I said about some of the extended ones just not looking right. Too much going on with the different window shapes and the bulges down the rockers. It's just my opinion and others may love it. Is is an attention getter no doubt.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

Leave a comment:

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    All this here talk about adding length to a C-Cab, and this man hasn't come up yet....

My recommendation would be to get ahold of this man at the next meet(he will probably be in Cedar Rapids). He travels allll over the place, in particular the midwest with this fine beast. He will probably be able to tell you the finer details about adding extra room to a C-Cab.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

Leave a comment:

• buddymander
    replied
    I added 8 1/2" to my 49. I drove it to La Palma three years ago and was all cramped up. If I had it to do over, I would change two things. First, I would only have added about 4". Second, I would have left the cab intact and added the back of another; and THEN cut out the rear of the front part. The roof becomes extremely flimsy and unstable when you cut it. I had to build two curved frames to hold it in alignment. Want pics? Huh? Do ya? Really? Do ya?

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied

I started on a project of making a C cab into a extended cab. I'm going to add 28 inches on the back of a 1956 C cab. Has anyone done any thing like this. I would like discussing this with them and maybe get some pointers. Thank Ken
    This is a diesel powered 3 door crew cab. I do not recall the exact year model. It belongs to my friend David Walker in Chesnee, SC. If I remember correctly, he displayed it with a sign that explained that there were only two of these built and this is one of the two. I took this picture at the Tri-State meet in Asheville, NC last year.

[img][/img]

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• Carl Purdy
    replied

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Leave a comment:

Working...
X