No announcement yet.

Making a C cab into a extended cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There areTwo Chevs that show up at some of the Hot Rod events that have been reduced to about 2/3 or so size. The 50s pickup is just beautiful. It's so close that you really don't notice it unless it's parked near a stocker. It's been sliced every way you can think of. The tops even been chopped above the doors to maintain the proper dims. It's out of Arkansas. The second one is a 39 two door, it's nice but not as detailed as the pickup.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    63 Avanti R2
    63 Lark R2
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by transtarken

I want to build a extended cab like that gray one on that trailer. I was glad to see how it would look. I think I will put the drip rail over the back window and mine is a 56, put sun shades over the door and side window. I have 5 C cabs to work with so I took 2 ratty ones to practice on. It looks to me that the gray one on the trailer has the side window lower than the front window witch does't look good. Tomorrow I headed for Cedar Rapids and may pick up somemore pointers Thanks Ken
      I scrolled back up and studied that truck a little more closely. I wonder if Armbruster or someone built that one as well. It looks like a solid build and seems to have been done as a work truck. With a little tweaking of the symmetry for the rear side windows...I think it would be a great project! Perhaps shape the window in the reverse of the front to carry the line without a vent window in the back glass. The windows in the truck on the trailer look to have been placed there for utility with little thought for aesthetics.
      While you are at it, you would also have an opportunity to install some structural integrity that could double as a roll bar and anchor point for modern 3 point safety belt system. Since its your money and not mine, I like the idea of using a rear seat that could fold up like the one in my Dodge four door truck. I am sure that the seat would have to be cut and sectioned so you could squeeze it into the dimensions of a C cab.

By the way...I think Armbruster made a bunch of those crew cabs, but only two were diesel powered.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The truck on the trailer is a projection of what Mr Dickson wanted his project to sorta look like.

I believe he worked on it for several years and then sold/disposed of the project.

I think he was from eastern Nebraska.

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28

59 Lark
        etc

Comment

John I thought I would take the top rear 1/2 of right door and frame and put them on the front of the left door. I was going to make a suecide four door until I found the bulge on the bottom of the door was to hide the hing. I see the red 4 door has exposed hinges and I'm not that experenced of a bodyman. With making a mockup I can see if 28 inchs is enough.I have a 2000 Tundra with extended cab so I think 28 is ok. Ken

Comment

Now that I understand you really want a two seater...how about using two cabs back to back? Talk about a "Green House"...as long as you are going to have to lengthen the chassis anyway. Just make the curved windshield a back glass. The area where the two halves are joined could be the area you incorporate the roll bar and added support. The suicide doors would be a cinch since you are using the whole existing door and frame. Perhaps some of the creative computer geeks on the forum could attempt to do a "Photo-Shop" preview for you. That would be a great way to avoid some of those design disasters we have seen for sale on eBay.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
            X