Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Project Photos

Hi, Guys,

Here are a few pics of the Avanti eight months later.

IMG]http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac212/tluz/IMG_1964.jpg[/IMG]

Hope this works.

Tom

I'm Jealous. Wish I had the time to do my 55 that way, but I won't live long enough.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

That is one classy chassis! I like the detail work you've put into it.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Who's exhaust system is that?

"From Ghoulies and Ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that
        go bump in the night, may the good Lord deliver us"

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Tom, the exhaust system comes from Don Simmons at Silvertone in Ontario. Stainless steel pipes with glasspacks. It fit perfectly and Don's a pleasure to deal with.

The poem is on a Halloween sign my kids put out to make the house look creepy.

Question for the forum -- One gent asked whether the bleeder screw on the front disk brakes is supposed to go on the top, so that the air will come out. This makes sense, but unless I've completely misread it, the picture in the shop manual shows the bleeder screw on the bottom. Does anyone have any intel on this point and, if the screw goes on the top, why the shop manual might have shown it the other way?

Tom

Comment

Double check, but I think you have the crossover line on backwards. If it rubs on the wheel you could lose the brakes. I don't recall a bleed screw on the bottom.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:

Question for the forum -- One gent asked whether the bleeder screw on the front disk brakes is supposed to go on the top, so that the air will come out. This makes sense, but unless I've completely misread it, the picture in the shop manual shows the bleeder screw on the bottom.

Tom
              The shop manual shows the bleeder screw on top. Page 5, figure 6 shows it clearly.

Bob Langer
              Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
              Glenshaw,PA

Comment

OK, thanks, guys. I'll switch them tonight and clean my glasses the next time I look at the manual.

Comment

Yah, it looks like you have the calipers reversed, R on L and L on R.
                  The bleeder most definately must go on top. Also make sure you check
                  the alignment of the caliper on the rotor and that its parallel to it.

Is that the stock Silvertone or the larger one? Can you post more pics
                  of the system and side views of the bends? I am curious as to how the
                  bends flow, and how crushed they are. They look really good in your
                  pictures, not reduced in diameter that much.

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

CINDER BLOCKS - BAD! BAD! BAD!

GET REAL JACKSTANDS! NOW!

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have jack stands but I need them from time to time.

What's wrong with cinder blocks?

Comment

In three words... YOU COULD DIE!
                        They are not made to support any kind of load, especially the way you have them.
                        A lot of people are killed each year doing just what you are doing.
                        I had one crumble on me when I was 14..a long long time ago.
                        PLEASE put them outside and put some real jackstands under there...
                        Seriously, this is a MAJOR safety issue...for YOU!
                        We don't need to hear about a tragedy later on that could be easily avoided now.
                        Dump the cinder blocks.
                        Read up on it here...
                        http://tinyurl.com/mawvxz
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by tluz

I have jack stands but I need them from time to time.
                        What's wrong with cinder blocks?
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff is right, cinderblocks are kinda like a house of cards, they do
                          seem strong enough, but just the right change in load and they will
                          suddenly crumble. I didnt even notice them in the picture. Make sure
                          to get quality jack stands, not the split round tube style. When I've
                          needed my jack stands, or wanted it to sit higher, some lumber yards
                          have large square blocks of wood, and as ugly as they look old wheels
                          make decent stands in a pinch (laying flat, not upright like salvage
                          yards use them, and never stacked).

Tom

Comment

Hmmm. Never heard that. I'll pick up a few more stands this weekend. For what it's worth, i have no need to crawl under the frame at the moment.

I switched the disk brake crossover tubes so they match the shop manual pic. Makes more sense that way. What, if anything, plugs the remaining hole on the bottom inner caliper? Right now both calipers have one open hole.

Tom, I'll get a few exhaust pics for you ASAP. This is the stock Silvertone. Don and I discussed the 2 1/4" diameter and we concluded that, the way I intend to drive the car, I will almost never be in the RPM range where it will improve anything. He thinks it is worth 5-10 HP in the 4500 RPM range, so if you're drag racing it might be worth a couple of tenths. I assume if you go for the wider diameter you'd want headers, too.

Comment

Exhaust pics for Tom. I'm not Don's sales agent, but he will tell you that he has copies of the original Studebaker templates.

Hope this covers everything you wanted to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X