Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Steering wheel nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel nut

Can someone tell me the size of the large nut that holds the steering wheel. I have to remove the wheel so I can check the turn signal switch. The handle will not go in the down(left turn) position.

John Ratliff

1 1/4 I believe. That is what is on my 53 Starlight Coupe. Hope it helps. I would imagine they are the same.

Bob

Comment

Thanks a lot, Bob

John Ratliff

Comment

I think they're different on pre-57 and 57-up cars but I don't recall the sizes.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate's right. Ran into this putting a '57 Hawk PS setup in my '53. The '57 and up is smaller. Don't know the sizes off hand either.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gotcha

1 1/4 I believe. That is what is on my 53 Starlight Coupe. Hope it helps. I would imagine they are the same.

Bob

Your right, Bob is 1 1/4 nut. Bought the socket today and will work on it Wed.
            Thanks
            John Ratliff

Comment

Well, I got the steering wheel off this morning. The reason for pulling it was the turn signals would never return to neutral. Only manualy. Then the other day, when I was pulling out of the garage, the wheel seemed to hang up. A little tug on the wheel and every thing was okay. At least I thought it was. When I tried to push the turn signal down for a left turn it would not go down. Up or neutral but not down. After I got the wheel off I seen a bent up strip of metal stuck in the turn signal plate. It seems to be the lock plate. I cannot see how it was mounted. Can any one tell me what it mounts to and how. Also I need a new one if available. Part no#1310-04

John Ratliff

Comment

Working...
              X