Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Front suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension

Will the upper and lower A-arms from a 62 GT work on a 57 Silver Hawk? If not, is there any way to repair the outer 'ears' that the trunnions mount to?

As far as I know they are the exact same part, but you'd need to check a parts catalog to be certain.

Most likely they would fit in any case, but if some critical dimension were different, you might not be able to properly align the front end.

If it were me, I'd plan to use them, but I would get out a tape measure and make sure that AT LEAST the distance between the center-lines of the inner shaft and outer trunnion was the same, and that the widths of the inner and outer were the same.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Same part numbers. The only one that is different uses metal bushings instead of rubber and would be obvious.

Comment

Same animal. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Like others said, the control arms are the same. Now I believe that the kingpins and lower knuckles are different, so if you swap in the '62 stuff make sure you do both sides. That is actually something of an upgrade as it will give you a little more caster which will make the car steer a little harder but will make it more stable at high speed. Or if you are doing a full rebuild and the '57 kingpins are in better shape just replace *only* the control arms with the '62 stuff and you'll have a perfectly stock setup.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks to all of you 'old timers' (I'm an old timer too, just not as expert as you are). Reason I'm asking is I did a bushing and trunnion replacement but did a rush job and may have damaged the outer ears where the trunnions mount.

Comment

Working...
            X