Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

63 Avanti rear brake cylinders

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 63 Avanti rear brake cylinders

    I have exhausted all sources for new rear wheel cylinders. I tried all part stores and all computer links and web pages. Can anyone help?
    Thanks George

    George Hofstetter

  • #2
    Sorry about my post. I found the cylinders at Studebaker International.

    George Hofstetter

    Comment


    • #3
      It's a moot point now that you have found them, but I've been having mine sleeved at White Post in Virginia. The kits are still available from NAPA, and include the pistons.

      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Be very careful with the wheel cylinders from NAPA. I don't know for what car you wanted wheel cylinders for, but for an Avanti, NAPA lists them for about half the price of the vendors here. They're listed as interchangeable with some older Jeeps, which they are...as far as the way they fit.

        While the NAPA wheel cylinders fits properly, the difference is they have a larger internal bore from the Studebaker specification and allow far too much fluid and pressure to the rear brakes. As soon as you touch the brakes the rear locks right up.

        There were two solutions...add an adjustable proportioning valve to balance out the front/rear brake pressure, or buy the correct wheel cylinders from Studebaker International, Jon Myers, et al.

        Just a thing to keep in mind when buying such parts.




        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

        Comment


        • #5
          quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

          Be very careful with the wheel cylinders from NAPA. I don't know for what car you wanted wheel cylinders for, but for an Avanti, NAPA lists them for about half the price of the vendors here. They're listed as interchangeable with some older Jeeps, which they are...as far as the way they fit.

          While the NAPA wheel cylinders fits properly, the difference is they have a larger internal bore from the Studebaker specification and allow far too much fluid and pressure to the rear brakes. As soon as you touch the brakes the rear locks right up.

          There were two solutions...add an adjustable proportioning valve to balance out the front/rear brake pressure, or buy the correct wheel cylinders from Studebaker International, Jon Myers, et al.

          Just a thing to keep in mind when buying such parts.

          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
          Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't bought any wheel cylinders from NAPA before, just the kits to put in the resleeved cylinders.

          Quit buying new wheel cylinders when the prices got higher than the cost to resleeve them.

          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

          Comment


          • #6
            It's not just NAPA wheel cylinders, Advance Auto and other retailers have the same application guides and simply don't know the incompatibility. I found out the hard way. I bought them from NAPA because a local outlet had them in stock while Advance Auto would have had to order them. I thought I was saving big bucks over the Studebaker vendors.

            When the problem surfaced...immediately on a test drive, I called Jon Myers and he knew exactly what the problem was. He said that many years ago he discovered that after going crazy trying to diagnose the problem. As soon as he heard the symptoms, he immediately knew the answer from his own experience. He sent me the correct wheel cylinders and problem solved. Thank you, Jon Myers! Ya gotta love the vendors we have...a lot of specific knowledge that no other general repair shop would have a clue diagnosing much less repairing.




            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

            Comment


            • #7
              Before slamming NAPA, does their catalog list those larger bore cylinders for the Studebaker in question? Or is it that a casting number on a Studebaker/Bendix part crossed with a reference to another brand casting?

              It is quite common for inexperienced folks to cross a casting number in some master interchange reference and then arrive at a competitors casting that was comparable and usable - as a casting. And it is likely identical or suitable, as a casting. The build out for bore, and other features is what determines full performance compatibility.

              If we just look at a compiled cross reference to purchase parts for our cars, then we better pay very close attention to detail. Old cars don't perfom like todays machines without reducing the performance. This hold true for tires, brakes, shocks, fluids, etc.

              The life you save may be your own.

              Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast ...

              ========================
              63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
              Martinez, CA

              Comment


              • #8
                just in case anyone's searching this topic later, I believe all disc brake cars use a 3/4" bore wheel cylinder on the rear brakes.

                nate

                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

                Comment


                • #9
                  quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

                  Before slamming NAPA, does their catalog list those larger bore cylinders for the Studebaker in question? Or is it that a casting number on a Studebaker/Bendix part crossed with a reference to another brand casting?

                  It is quite common for inexperienced folks to cross a casting number in some master interchange reference and then arrive at a competitors casting that was comparable and usable - as a casting. And it is likely identical or suitable, as a casting. The build out for bore, and other features is what determines full performance compatibility.

                  If we just look at a compiled cross reference to purchase parts for our cars, then we better pay very close attention to detail. Old cars don't perfom like todays machines without reducing the performance. This hold true for tires, brakes, shocks, fluids, etc.

                  The life you save may be your own.

                  Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast ...

                  ========================
                  63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                  Martinez, CA

                  NAPA's application guide actually listed that wheel cylinder for Studebaker's w/disc brakes. It was Jon Myers who told me it also fit Jeeps. While the Stude wheel cylinder does have a 3/4" bore, the one from NAPA had a 7/8" bore. It was enough to make a huge difference.

                  The same goes for Advance Auto application guide. This was over two years ago so the guides may have changed by now...most likely to drop any Stude reference at all.

                  I'm not slamming NAPA or Advance Auto...just an error in their guides. Whomever worked the guides up simply assumed the applications were the same since they fit identically and were identical in appearance. Whether the casting numbers might be the same I have no idea.




                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Plus one from Jon Myer!
                    Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    Be very careful with the wheel cylinders from NAPA. I don't know for what car you wanted wheel cylinders for, but for an Avanti, NAPA lists them for about half the price of the vendors here. They're listed as interchangeable with some older Jeeps, which they are...as far as the way they fit.

                    While the NAPA wheel cylinders fits properly, the difference is they have a larger internal bore from the Studebaker specification and allow far too much fluid and pressure to the rear brakes. As soon as you touch the brakes the rear locks right up.

                    There were two solutions...add an adjustable proportioning valve to balance out the front/rear brake pressure, or buy the correct wheel cylinders from Studebaker International, Jon Myers, et al.

                    Just a thing to keep in mind when buying such parts.




                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes you are correct
                      Originally posted by N8N View Post
                      just in case anyone's searching this topic later, I believe all disc brake cars use a 3/4" bore wheel cylinder on the rear brakes.

                      nate

                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If in a pinch and need cylinders like "now" AC Delco makes a 3/4 cylinder for a CJ-6 Jeep with the p/n: 18E478....years 60-65

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                          If in a pinch and need cylinders like "now" AC Delco makes a 3/4 cylinder for a CJ-6 Jeep with the p/n: 18E478....years 60-65
                          We’ll be looking forward to your follow-up post, saying that these will not match the bolt pattern on the Studebaker backing plate, and that the cylinder pistons are not designed to push on the feature incorporated into the correct Studebaker brake shoe....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I would love to have you and Jon Myer sit at a table to discuss this, as it was Jon who educated me about the Jeep CJ6 having the same rear wheel cyl as disk brake Studes.....then, there would be no reason to have as you say a "follow-up" post :-)
                            Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                            We’ll be looking forward to your follow-up post, saying that these will not match the bolt pattern on the Studebaker backing plate, and that the cylinder pistons are not designed to push on the feature incorporated into the correct Studebaker brake shoe....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Perhaps, but Jon is a competent mechanic, and can adapt and make things fit. He may have thought anyone considering purchasing non-Studebaker specific parts would also be able to make them work. Did he say they were a bolt in job, or just that they would work?
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com


                              "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X