elctronic fuel pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elctronic fuel pumps

does anyone have a recommendation for an electronic fuel pump for a 63 GT hawk, 57 golden hawk 56 golden hawk and 54 commander with 259 (listed all cars in case it made any difference). I hearing this may help vapor lock situation.

I'm not sure it needs to be electronic, just electric. Any will do if you can blow through them. You don't want more than about 5 lbs, except the 57 GH, which will need over pressure to overcome internal carb pressure.

The 54 will need a 6 volt pump, unless it has been converted to 12 volts.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

I would suggest a solid state type so it is less likely to flood out your needle and seat. The rotary type puts more pressure than the solid state. Is your 54 a 6 volt set up if so you will have to get a pump designed to run on 6 volts. You should be able to get a fuel pump at your local parts house. Try not to exceed 7 psi with your pump if you do it will flood out a regulator may be in order so as not to flood it.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

thanks, the 54 is still 6 volt positive ground. what about emergency cut off and i would like to hide the electric pump as much as possible and leave mechanical pump in place with its lines connected.

Comment

I've got a 12v Carter on my 6V Conestoga...!

Works fine.. Has for over a year now.
          It still puts out more pressure than the little single barrel carb. can handle, so I installed a regulator with a gage. I set the regulator to 3psi.
          Working well.

Just remember to swap the positive for the negitive so it pumps to the engine rather than pushes the fuel back into the tank...!

Mike

Comment

There's plenty of room in the area over the rear axle to mount the electric fuel pump. You might want to mount it on a piece of old tire sidewall, and mount THAT on the frame or body, to eliminate some of the sound.

I use my electric pump for start up, and as needed for vapor lock, don't have an emergency cut off. If you intend to leave it on full time, you should have an auto cut off. I've no experience with them, someone else will have to help on that.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

Here is a method of connecting the fuel pump using a VW relay that will kill the pump if the engine quits. I think I got this from N8.

http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/sfraser/relay.html

Comment

Working...
              X