Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1963, 289 R1 Distrbutor conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963, 289 R1 Distrbutor conversion

Comments on converting a '63 R1 from dual point to electronic ignition would be appreciated. Solid state transisterized ignition was a rare option in '63-64. What would be advisable today? Thanks for any comments.

I am not sure but the dizzy in that may be like the Chevy if I am wrong somebody correct me but anyhow check out pertronix it fits inside the dizzy and looks stock. I do recommend using a larger coil too when switching to a pertronix kit.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

The original prestolite dual point distributor in my '63 R2 had been replaced somewhere along the line with a single point. I was told by an expert that most prestolite distributors were significantly worn after 60K miles. And I couldn't find a low-mileage or NOS dual-point prestolite replacement. Since a Pertronix won't work with the prestolite single point distributor, I ordered a Mallory Electronic distributor from the Thibeault Company. I was also informed that it needs a special curve kit for the R2 engine.

quote:Originally posted by garyc

Comments on converting a '63 R1 from dual point to electronic ignition would be appreciated. Solid state transisterized ignition was a rare option in '63-64. What would be advisable today? Thanks for any comments.
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

Myers Studebaker can covert the Stude dual point to a Mopar HEI electronic ignition that uses the Stude distributor shaft. If you need parts for it later you just ask for the correct matching Dodge V8 model.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Buy a complete brand new distributor from Dave Thibeault.
          These work great but are a little pricey but worth it.

Comment

If you search there are several threads on this subject. However, if you have the Prestolite dual point in your R1 you can get the Pertronix kit for $100 give or take and it is an easy swap. You can get the kit from most Stude vendors, such as Fairborn (http://www.fairbornstudebaker.com/) or you can search the Pertronix website and get the correct part number and order from Summit or others. This would be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new distributor if yours is not having other problems.

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
            X